Author Topic: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street  (Read 87455 times)

FRH

Re: Balsall Heath - Photo's of Benacre Street and/or Hope Street
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
Phil & Julia. I remember the Giasante family moving into the Gooch Street shop in 1950's with their daughter. We lived at 2/199 Gooch Street . I remember the shop well as my parents were friends of the previous owners Harold & Phyliss Miller. They had 2 children and the living accommodation had an indoor bathroom. We were often invited to have a bath with the Miller children. I believe there is a photo of one of the Dante shops but not the Gooch Street shop on one of the Brum shops. I will see if I can find it for you. Good luck with your search Julia.

Regards
Fred

FRH

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »
Phil & Juliac I have attached a photo of the Dante shop.
fred

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2018, 02:55:34 PM »
Fred

That shop was at the bottom of Bradford Street by the Moat House club, I'm not sure if it belonged to the same Dante, but Julia might know.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Joan Crawford

« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2020, 11:53:25 PM »
My family name was Crawford we loved at 3/72 benacre st, remember all the names you mentioned, happy days. My mom was Mavis and my dad was harr, dad passed away 23 years ago and mom passed away October last year. Does anyone on here remember us.

Gary Richard Lloyd

« Reply #180 on: May 01, 2020, 02:41:38 AM »
I was at hope st fm 51 -60 gud Times l ad a part time  job at Wrensons grocers my mates where J Weston Robert Adams

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #181 on: May 01, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
Gary do you remember the school trip to Paris  in 53
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

iryan117

« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2020, 04:41:23 PM »
hello Dave my name is brian .my family lived in Benacre street number 54. my mother was a shop keeper .I no the birles opkins mrs titchen mrs piff.and me and my brothers and sister went to hope street school

My name was Isabel Birley and we lived at 47 Benacre Street.  My sisters are Val and Rose and brothers are Keith Colin and Paul.  Does anyone remember us

Tez28

« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2020, 10:12:33 AM »
Hello I remember your grandfather dante I have just come across your post on here I would be interested in knowing witch cemetery he was laden to rest if you dont mind sharing with me I have some old photos of him but none of the hairdressers he married my grandmother pat .

Paul and Linda

« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2020, 12:35:30 PM »
Hi all, I’m quite late to this but if I’m not mistaken that last photo is Alma Terrace, we lived at no 4, I was born there July 58. Brother Glyn and Sister Meryl about 10 years older than me both went to Hope Street under Mr Drayton and I had the pleasure of him at Lea Mason, can’t remember her first name but mother Ward was my Godmother, my sister worked at Turners, great photos and posts.
Paul

Denise spragg

« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2020, 01:09:48 AM »
I remember  you david peden, I sat bext and was sysan eades best friend, as she chose me on the first day of school! She had a big family, I had red hair, and was denise spragg at that time. I remember  Sofic mere and a lit of the other names, we were in the same class. My mother and father died , snd I was taken into care, given foster parents so I left in 1961 suddenly. I went to harborne  Hill school after that, although  I lived in carrs Lane Birmingham.  I live in poole forset now. Have 2 daughters  snd 5 grandchildren! Those were the days!

Gingerden

« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2022, 08:20:55 PM »
Hi Janey,
The Lloyds and the Wards ring a loud enough bell - but  I'm unsure about Josie Wynn
Teachers I recall:
Stanley Burgess (Art) - who shocked us all in the 5th year by insisting we called him Stan from the first day he took our class - everyone else was miss or sir...
Miss Hughes (Religious Education) [whom I was deeply in love with as only a twelve year old boy can be though i doubt she knew that - unless she is still around to read this of course]:    :-[     
others were: Mr Drayton, Mr Clemence, Mr Green, Mr Benson.
There are others I can't recall just now, but I'd know them if they were mentioned... my memory on names and faces isn't so good either.
I was in classes 1.1, 2.1, 3.1 then 4.1 respectively throughout my time at Hope St.
I still recall the huge hall with the high roofand the wonderful 'rose' window at the far end and the balcony that gave access to the upper classrooms.
My sister Diane was in the year above me all through school  (same year as you would have been in I think) and I'm sure all her old teachers were quite perplexed by the difference between my sister and I - Diane was the clever one - head girl, etc, etc.
Me? Not so clever by half, though I did get to be a Prefect and a Librarian for a year or so in my last couple of years there.
Thanks for stirring the memories
 :) hi David peden, I was in the same class as you at hope street! Denise spragg, redhead. I live in Poole Dorset now. Wd love to hear from any class mates. Susan eade was my friend. She chose me to be from day one of the school,! She had lots of brothers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy