Author Topic: ASTON VILLA (1874) F.C. SUPPORTERS  (Read 22947 times)

Alfie.H.

Re: ASTON VILLA (1874) F.C. SUPPORTERS
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »
Hi all,

I'll wager that we wont see any teams fielding a 2-3-5 formation this season. Well written Waka.

Alfie

Spud

« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
I remember some years ago I went to lunch in the Macgregor suite at Villa Park with an associate [that's the only way I can describe this character] . I must confess this was alien to us both as we were avid Blues Supporters but beggars can't be choosers. My lunch companion was a real cheeky chappie and it was at the time Villa were going through a bad patch. Spotting Doug Ellis at an nearby table my companion said ' Watch this' Off he traipsed to Ellis' table. The conversation went something like this. 'Excuse me Mr Ellis are you OK ? I hear that you have a bad side'. I can still see the expression o n Deadly Doug's face to this day. Needless to say we never ate there again.
The Best Is Yet To Come

wakadowakado

« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
A nice story S and the old Doug keeps going!. On the front of the Villa News and Record an advert is centre stage. It states; SET THE FASHION TO THE WORLD-  ROVER CYCLES- When you see a cyclist on a 'ROVER' you can be certain he or she have paid for their bicycle. We do not touch the penny or twopence a day business. It goes on to say ROVER CYCLES never wear out  Prices 8 15s  10 10s  12  12s  14  14s  and 16  16s  at Birningham  Depot  Victoria Square  Works  Coventry  Of course it must be remembered the working man could only dream of owning a car in those days. The publication is typically Edwardian print in Claret lettering on light blue carded cover.  Will Bentecke arrive on his bike at Villa Park?

wakadowakado

« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »
Shareholders N.B. September 1906
The players Comforts: In the latter part of 1905 The Directors fitted up one of the large rooms under the grand stand as a
gymnasium with all the usual appurtenances. This has been much appreciated and being in close contact with the baths has
in practice proved to be of great advantage. In addition to this the players recreation room has been added to by connecting
it with a large adjoining room which has been fitted up as a reading room and library well equipped and containing all that is needed for the well-being and edification of the players Electric lighting has been installed and the rooms are heated
throughout with hot water The Directors invite an inspection of what has been done by any of the shareholders 
So there you are shareholders nip along to VP and see if they would keep their word!      Link up soon Wakawords

wakadowakado

« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2013, 04:00:15 PM »
The last week in August 1913 featured the Club's long running fixture with Aston Unity. Would it surprise you readers that Billy George the famous England keeper was a fine cricketer too! Here is the scorecard for the encounter which AV won by113 runs and a few minutes to spare   ATSON VILLA  215 for 7 wkts declared (Higgins 100 n.o. George 56)  ASTON UNITY 102  J.B. Higgins played in Villa's third team at football last season

sky1

« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
wheres bluey?  ( blueblizzard )

hav'nt seen him around for a while..hope hes ok

wakadowakado

« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
S, I think he is a 'Blue's supporter.
Here is a bit of interesting trivia
Gershom COX (1863-1940)  This Villa full back has a record in top flight professional football which will never be broken . In their very first historical away game to Wolverhampton they drew  1-1 and Gershom (a rare Christian name) was credited with scoring football's first OWN GOAL

wakadowakado

« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
There will always be someone to read this AV 1  CA 0

townie

« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
Aston Villa 12 men Chelsea 9. I totally agree with the sending off of Ramires but come on the tackle by Willian was never a foul. The Ref was a joke but well done Villa 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
Have the villa gone bust, now that the ref has demanded his cheque for services unlikely to be criticised.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

hopkins

« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2014, 09:28:42 AM »
I believe that should Villa turn out and play as they did in the first half v W.B.A.and beatBradford City.