Author Topic: ASTON VILLA (1874) F.C. SUPPORTERS  (Read 56999 times)

astwood

Re: ASTON VILLA (1874) F.C. SUPPORTERS
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
Im praying for a win against sheffield united
it would give us a lift O0

wakadowakado

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
Pete your prayers are answered. As a matter of fact things have not changed in 100 years
Namely PORTSMOUTH  1 (Long)  ASTON VILLA  4 (Hampton 2, Walters and Bache)
Team: George; Kearns, Miles,  Tranter,  Buckley,  Hunter;  Wallace  Walters  Hampton
Bache  and  Hewshall   By the way I did not see the match!

astwood

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 05:51:28 PM »
It was a deserved win waka lets
hope they can repeat it against
the teams in the premier

wakadowakado

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Just before we move on to football seasons that have come an gone at the present Villa
Park. Have you wondered what the location housed before the club acquired it.?  It was
truly a asplendid show piece of the Midlands. According to Hammonds guide 1882 the Aston
lower grounds had everything. Yes a lake with sub tropical plants growing just where fans
get frustrated when the team play poorly! In the vicinity of the north stand end a cricket
field staged representative games in which the legendary Dr W.G.Grace appeared. Even
wild west type shows featuring cowboys and Indians thrilled the spectators. Dining rooms
over an interesting aquarium was also playing a part on the site where clientel could buy
cold chicken,ham,bread cheese and butter for 7.5 new pence, boiled eggs 0.6 new pence
pot of tea,bread and butter and cake 3.75 new pence crust and cheese 0.6 new pence
plate of ham or beef 2.2 new pence or ham and eggs 3.75 new pence. Sounds cheaper
than Tescos  but no loyalty cards then! How about the drinks Pete?  Ale or Stout 0.6 new
pence even Champagne 2.2 new pence. Your pension would take you a long way. Link
up with football next time Wakarchavist

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
Wak

I don't know a thing about football or sport at all if it comes to that, but I do know a little of Birmingham's history. The Lower Grounds were once the kitchens and Fish ponds for Aston Hall were leased by a Mr H.G.Quilter who laid out pleasure grounds and some buildings which were based on Alexander Palace.

Later he sold it on and on the site was built an aquarium, hotel and exhibition hall and even a roller rink. The Grounds were a very popular destination and could boast over a quarter of a million visitors a year.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wakadowakado

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 10:11:43 PM »
Many thanks Phil for illuminating the thread. It was Messrs F.W.Rinder and C.S Johnstone
being instrumental in negotiating with Messrs Flowers Brewers for Villa Park  They took a lease of 21 years at £250 per annum but later purchased the freehold at 25 new pence a yard Link up soon with some more history

wakadowakado

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »
Sunday's  derby game will be hotly contested for points at St Andrew's The head to head
stands at AV 51 wins BC 36 wins and 30 matches drawn. The very first encopunter took
place 05111887 Queen Victoria's Jubilee year and Villa ran out winners 4-0  I cannot see
anything like that on Sunday on that occasion it was an F.A Cup match that the Blues faced
the Cup Holders at the time. The first League match event took place 01091894 AV2 BC 1
My forecast a 1-1 draw. Returning to the history we have reached the golden days of the
club in the late 1890's when the famous names of Wheldon (youngest in a family of 10)
James Welford Bill George , John Devey and his uncle Harry Devey also represented the Villa. It is worth documenting that Devey, Welford, George, Welford, Ducat and Eric
Houghton all attained first class cricket career levels too. Next time a little note about the different F.A. Cups will be documented Link up soon Wakarchivist

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »
Villa's history cannot be denied. However, it is history and nothing more! I ask but one question?.....When will you achieve again? The Blackpool manager called Villa: "A one arsed club living on it's memories" over Villa's persuit of their captain!! Perhaps you will care to comment?

wakadowakado

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 06:41:26 PM »
Hi W, Thanks for the input to the thread the more the better for healthy debate. Levels
of achievement are hard to define these days as a Club's position usually depends on
the spending power available i.e. Manchester City and Tottenham. I do not expect Lerner
to enter their ranks - he is a banker not a risk taker with his own money! In respect of
Charlie Adams I would endorse any person trying to engage his services as he is one real
talent. I doubt that Ian Holloway will be able to satisfy his ambitions in the summer. To
conclude my comments I was always told to remember my roots or where I come from. It so
happened that Wm McGregor gave exciting life to footballing millions worldwide and that
is why we are having this interesting interaction today! His vision of the League system
will probably be immortal and I will remember him too as Mr Aston Villa a Club he utterly
adored taking the early players as band of brothers back to Scotland in the Victorian period. That is where I rest my case. Please let us know who favour  Best wishes Wak

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 04:33:05 AM »
Hi W.

In retrospect, I should have written a much better explanation of what I was thinking in my earlier post. Whilst I accept that Holloway, through his public utterances, is fast becoming a bit of a "CLOWN", he does, in someway, reflect a view widely held in football, i.e. Villa fans live on memories and delusions of grandeur!!!

Liverpool are another club whose fans seem to be in permanent denial at the moment.

I do accept that money appears to be of ever increasing importance, i.e. Chelsea and Manchester City, but would caution that money has been thrown at clubs before and been wasted. I refer you way back to when Sunderland were known as the "Bank of England" club. There are many more examples we both could give.

As for today.......may the best team win.....at least one lot of Brummies will have some bragging rights!!!!

Tony

wakadowakado

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
Thanks W for your follow up thoughts. I think the local 1-1 draw was a fair result. Houllier
has realised you have to introduce young talent slowly. I have not been an admirer of
DARREN BENT right from the start at CHARLTON. He blows hot and cold so I would like to be wrong and
find his career becomes an astonishing piece in the jig-saw.  Villa desparately need To stay
in the Premiership -you cannot rely on defenders to win enough games. I will continue
history soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy