Author Topic: Where is This?  (Read 129250 times)

Scipio

Re: Where is This?
« Reply #2046 on: September 30, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »

Not a pub I remember at all, which may I say is unusual for me, though considering the many hundreds of times I must have past this in the 70's whilst just starting up in business I don't understand why I wouldn't recognise it.

Phil is it The Golden Eagle on Lodge Road Winson Green ?

astoness

« Reply #2047 on: September 30, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
no good at directions phil ;D

perry barr

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2048 on: September 30, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »

Phil is it The Golden Eagle on Lodge Road Winson Green ?

It is the Golden Eagle on Lodge Road, when we got the contract to supply skips to all the hospitals in the 70's in the then West Birmingham Health Authority, All saints Hospital was included in the contact and the service entrance according to the maps was exactly opposite the pub. As I said I can't recall it at all yet I was still driving a lorry then and must have passed by it 3 times a week.
Make Love Not War

astoness

« Reply #2049 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:43 PM »
well i would never have thought lodge road...not like you to miss a pub phil...mike if you spot this could we have a map please pinpointing where this pub was...well done scipio

Scipio

« Reply #2050 on: September 30, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »

It is the Golden Eagle on Lodge Road, when we got the contract to supply skips to all the hospitals in the 70's in the then West Birmingham Health Authority, All saints Hospital was included in the contact and the service entrance according to the maps was exactly opposite the pub. As I said I can't recall it at all yet I was still driving a lorry then and must have passed by it 3 times a week.

Phil I used that pub for a time in the early 70's , I cant remember the name of the gaffer . He loved telling the customers he'd got
chicklins or somesuch for supper. Have you got ant pics of The Winson Green Tavern(commonly known as The Don) it was on the corner of Lodge Road and Don St

Scipio

« Reply #2051 on: September 30, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »

well i would never have thought lodge road...not like you to miss a pub phil...mike if you spot this could we have a map please pinpointing where this pub was...well done scipio

Thanks Astoness , it was up the top of Lodge Road near where some of the wardens from the nick lived facing the pub , close to Winson Green Road

astoness

« Reply #2052 on: September 30, 2017, 10:05:06 PM »
have to admit i dont know winson green that well but had ancestors who lived in the area...however i used to go out with a lad from kirby road many moons ago ;D   from memory i think kirby road was round the corner from the prison..

lyn

Scipio

« Reply #2053 on: September 30, 2017, 10:21:08 PM »

have to admit i dont know winson green that well but had ancestors who lived in the area...however i used to go out with a lad from kirby road many moons ago ;D   from memory i think kirby road was round the corner from the prison..

lyn

That's right, my wife came from Preston Rd , as you turned right onto Lodge Rd from either Preston Markby or Kirby Rd's going up to Winson Green Rd . Being on the right hand side going up you came to The Golden Eagle , opposite was  the start of a row of warders houses , used to tickle me when they'd finished their shift you've never heard so many keys jangling

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2054 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:03 PM »

Phil I used that pub for a time in the early 70's , I cant remember the name of the gaffer . He loved telling the customers he'd got
chicklins or somesuch for supper. Have you got ant pics of The Winson Green Tavern(commonly known as The Don) it was on the corner of Lodge Road and Don St

Scipio

Oddly enough I remember the Don, the Devonshire, and the All Saints, on Lodge Road, but not the Golden Eagle. My uncle who I worked with nearly all my working life loved Chitterlings (pigs guts) and whenever he passed Richards the pork butchers in Aston he used to call in for a supply (probably a bucket load) I wouldn't even let him bring them into the office.
Make Love Not War

mikejee

« Reply #2055 on: September 30, 2017, 10:52:14 PM »
Lyn
Here is the position of the Golden Eagle on a map c 1975

astoness

« Reply #2056 on: October 01, 2017, 08:30:42 AM »
thanks for the map mike and there is kirby road on it as well and no 2 is still there...scipio had to laff about the jangling of the warders keys :D  a friend of mine recently retired from winson green prison (NOT AN INMATE ;D ) and we both would love to know what happened to the original large wooden front gates but thats another story i guess..

lyn