Author Topic: Where is This?  (Read 129869 times)

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Where is This?
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Yes come on have a go, we must have all seen this structure at one time or other.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Pamela

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:28 PM »
I need a clue please                   
      Pam

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »
We all do or this game is never going to move forward.

astwood

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
Phil
It aint on top of the lickeys is it O0

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2011, 02:53:23 PM »
Astwood managed to get there without a clue, normally I wouldn't give out a clue in so short a time because its not fair to members who are only able to log on once or twice a week. Though in future as it has been requested I will cut that  down to a couple of days.

All the same, well done Astwood, it is what I suppose could be described as the top of the Lickeys Hills. I don't suppose that you Know the name of the Hill & the Structure do you?

Phil
Make Love Not War

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »
all i know Phil its called monument lane  monument runs across the top of the lickys
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »
Roy

Yes it is off Monument Lane, but we always reached it via the dangerous route across the golf course. The Hill it is on does have a name and it is called after this structure or rather the original one.

Phil
Make Love Not War

astwood

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
Phil
I lived at the bottom of the lickey hills just off
leach green lane 1975-81 my 3 lads use to play
up there or have a game of golf as for the
structure it was just put for the kids and
shaped like a castle

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
The Hill is called Beacon Hill, because for as long as records have been kept it has been home to a warning beacon. It was manned by two men day & night who's job was to ignite the beacon to warn the surrounding countryside of any danger. It is supposed to have been lit to warn of the Spanish Armada in 1588. I suppose the last time it was lit would have been for the Millennium celebrations

During the last war it was manned by plane & fire spotters who were on duty day and night but they didn't light a fire to warn of danger they used sirens and telephones. Since the war it being the highest point in the area it has been used as a mapping trig point as explained below.

Just a kilometre north of the monument, on top of Beacon Hill, is the toposcope made in the early twentieth century by the Cadbury family, standing next to the Ordnance Survey triangulation point. A small castelated structure was built to rehouse the toposcope in 1988 to celebrate the centenary of the park. It is 297 metres above sea level and provides the best views, of the city and surrounding counties, that the park provides.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2011, 03:57:09 PM »
Right then, see how you get on with this one.

Phil
Make Love Not War

Pamela

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
Phil
The Lickeys brings back remories Christopher Cadbury had a house up the top of the Lickey Hills, Beacon Wood, his first wife was the District Commissonaire for Selly Oak girl guides,we used to go and camp in one of his fields in the late 50's early 60's,we went on the 62 to Rednal and walked up through the Lickeys to get there.
Was there a smaller  structure pointing out places of interest ?
 Pam