Author Topic: Where is This?  (Read 116077 times)

Scipio

Re: Where is This?
« Reply #2057 on: October 01, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »

Scipio

Oddly enough I remember the Don, the Devonshire, and the All Saints, on Lodge Road, but not the Golden Eagle. My uncle who I worked with nearly all my working life loved Chitterlings (pigs guts) and whenever he passed Richards the pork butchers in Aston he used to call in for a supply (probably a bucket load) I wouldn't even let him bring them into the office.

Phil spent many a good night in The Eagle , the other pub in your latest pic shows The Don , I used to be in their dart team in the late 60's early 70's. We won the league one year and received the cup etc and the individual prizes at The Smith s Arms Winson Greeen Rd. I've had a pigs trotter Phil never the pigs guts though

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2058 on: October 01, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »
thanks for the map mike and there is kirby road on it as well and no 2 is still there...scipio had to laff about the jangling of the warders keys :D  a friend of mine recently retired from winson green prison (NOT AN INMATE ;D ) and we both would love to know what happened to the original large wooden front gates but thats another story i guess..

lyn

Lyn

When I worked in various prisons we were given a token when we entered the Prison in the mornings and the prison officers were handed their keys with a token attached. When we left in the evening we handed our token back and the prison officers handed back their keys. All were supposedly checked against their image held on file.

We worked in Winson Green Prison in 70's (as well as one or two other prisons) we were involved in the modernisation of the cell blocks. The new wall and gates was a separate contract but we were there when the new wall was started to be built around the existing old one and there was talk at that time of the gates and towers being left in situ, but if you look on Google Earth you can see that they are clearly now gone.
Make Love Not War

astoness

« Reply #2059 on: October 01, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »
cheers phil thats very interesting...shame the original prison gates have gone...cant see them being stored anywhere..unless someone knows different...

lyn

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2060 on: October 05, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »
This is one where I have no idea it is located, well not for definite, After about a week studying I've pretty well decided where I think it's located, so I thought it would be interesting to see if anybody else comes up with the same location. The only clues are the arrow pointing to Victoria Square and the tag that says it was taken in 1938 in Birmingham.
Make Love Not War

RoyMcC

« Reply #2061 on: October 05, 2017, 04:44:04 PM »
I think that arrow is pointing to the Post Office, and the postbox itself is announced as being in/at Victoria Square. So, looking down Hill Street with the PO across the road?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2062 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »
RoyMcC

I checked Hill Street and according to the OS maps there was no letter box at the top of Hill Street, when you think about it, why would there be with the head post office just around the corner with it's post boxes. I can tell I also discounted the top end of Suffolk Street as well because it didn't have a letter box either.
Make Love Not War

Spud

« Reply #2063 on: October 05, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
? Pinfold St.
The Best Is Yet To Come

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2064 on: October 05, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »
? Pinfold St.

Isn't the arrow pointing the wrong way for Pinfold Street?
Make Love Not War

astoness

« Reply #2065 on: October 05, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
looks like the town hall top right..could be waterloo st or even colmore row ..or is the post box actually on victoria square..not quite sure what the arrow is telling us...

townie

« Reply #2066 on: October 05, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
Could the post box be in Easy Row
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2067 on: October 05, 2017, 08:03:37 PM »
looks like the town hall top right..

Where do you mean, because I can't see a letter box anywhere near the town hall on the OS maps? Besides the area around the town hall is pretty level.
Make Love Not War