Author Topic: Where is This?  (Read 129203 times)

astoness

Re: Where is This?
« Reply #2068 on: October 05, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »
top right phil...whats that building that is lighter than the rest of the photo...could just be my eyes...

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2069 on: October 05, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »
Lyn are we talking about the Town Hall or the Council House, because I think on either the arrow would have to be pointing in the opposite direction. As I say I don't know the answer I'm just using the meagre resources I have at my disposal, which are maps, photos & what I will call logic. I know where I think it is, but I will wait and see of anybody comes up with the same location and then see of they agree with me why, or they might show me why I am wrong.
Make Love Not War

jamesm

« Reply #2070 on: October 05, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »
Margaret Street?

astoness

« Reply #2071 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:17 PM »
town hall phil but dont know for sure...bit of a mystery..

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2072 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »
jamesM

There are couple of things against Margaret Street, the first one being that it's level, There is a letterbox in Margaret Street in roughly the same position as it was then. If that were the location the arrow would be pointing down Great Charles Queensway towards Snow Hill.
Make Love Not War

Scipio

« Reply #2073 on: October 05, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »

This is one where I have no idea it is located, well not for definite, After about a week studying I've pretty well decided where I think it's located, so I thought it would be interesting to see if anybody else comes up with the same location. The only clues are the arrow pointing to Victoria Square and the tag that says it was taken in 1938 in Birmingham.

How about cnr Hill St/Navigation St Phil

Potomac

« Reply #2074 on: October 05, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »
It is a two-way road, if that helps.
I will try Edmund Street.
best wishes,  Alan

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2075 on: October 05, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
Scopio

Sorry

The nearest letter box to that junction was on the corner of John Bright Street outside Chetwyns  or the Whisky of you prefer that name. but either way given the location the arrow would be pointed in the wrong direction.
Make Love Not War

townie

« Reply #2076 on: October 05, 2017, 09:39:36 PM »
Lets try Ratcliffe Place
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2077 on: October 05, 2017, 11:56:04 PM »
I think it's perhaps time that I gave my theory on this little problem. I think it's either the junction of Newhall Street Marked "A" on the map or "B" at the junction of Church Street on the map both these roads have a junction with Colmore Row. If look or the map you will see that both of these roads bear the letters L.B (Letter Box) near the junction with Colmore Row next to the letters A & B that I added.

As both these roads have a downhill outlook and both letter box's are on the right of the road as on the photo, coupled with the fact that both roads are to the right of Victoria Square and the arrow on top of the box points to the left, I think my chances of being right are pretty good. Of I had to pick my favourite one out of the two I would plump foe Church Street.

Make Love Not War

astoness

« Reply #2078 on: October 06, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »
hi phil if it is church st what is the building at the top right of the photo

lyn