Author Topic: The Jungle cafe, Highgate Rd Balsall Heath 1960 also Blues at 16 Trafalgar Rd  (Read 7616 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Malc and Spud

I've attached a photo showing The Jungle on Snow Hill, a place that I never used. I also never used the Jungle on Highgate Road either obviosly this is why I had no knowledge of it. Since last posting to this thread I have studied the trade directories and I think that the problem with the name "the Jungle might be because the premises at 2 Highgate Road which was first on the right under the bridge from Moseley Road in the up to the mid 60's were registered to a J C Ryan as dining rooms (posh name for a cafe) but there was no name registered it might well have been called the Jungle then.

Then the cafe remained closed (no listing ) from 1967 to 1971 when it re-opened as the Jehlum, so it's entirely possible that people just continued calling it the Jungle.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

Phil..
Thanks for reply & the photo of the Jungle Café, on Snow Hill.  I was not aware of the one in Highgate Rd, despite passing under the bridge several times a day for years, also I had it in my mind that Jones's fishing tackle shop was the first shop next to the bridge on the right, going from Moseley Rd. I know that whole corner was demolished some years ago.
                                                                                                                                   Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

cocacolakid

Hi Susan

As I am some eight years older than yourself I doubt that we would have known each other, well not as children anyway. Yes it probably was the shop further down that I was thinking of. No I don't remember any of the names that you mention, but there again I lived in Larches st just by Larches Passage with my grandmother. Although I moved out of there before it was demolished in 1972.

I remember he sweet factory in Woodfield Rd and the builders yard next W.E.Bakers. I also remember the chippie in Woodfield Rd, but we always used Hickmans in Kyrwicks Lane for much better chips. 

It's all gone now and there are only a few places recognisable left.

Phil

Phil...

The sweet factory that was in Woodfield Rd was owned by a family named Diamond, they lived in Webb Lane Hall Green. I went out with their daughter Annette at one time during the mid 60s. She was/is friends with my wife & is God Mother to our daughter and we still see her & her husband several times a year.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
Yes the corner site was empty for a long while, but Aziz coaches has taken over the whole corner now. As I say I don't remember the cafe and all the member of my family that might are no longer with us so I can't ask them either. It's a pity Freds is not still open as I could have asked him, He would have known as there wasn't much going on around there that he didn't know about.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

Thanks for reply, Phil. O0                                                                                            Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy