Author Topic: Ancient history  (Read 12375 times)

cappdn

Re: Ancient history
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 10:56:21 AM »
Thre was a fortified manor house at Weoly Castle. A dig was carried out there in the early 60s, not sure what they found.
The rocks in Cannon Hill Park were from the Welsh Mountains, they were placed there by a glacier during the last ice age, the rocks were still there in 1997 ehen I walked around it when I was visiting Brum.
Regards
Dennis

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »
andy cap yes i remember that rock it was by the side of the lake just below the foot bridge when you come in the backend of cannonhill and i think that the camp on camphill was something to do with the romans and also shenly fields and ickneld street that comes in to kingsnorton and that runs from alcester to kingsnorton that was a roman road thats not much help but thats all i know andy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

John_Lerwill

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »
Please see my http://www.lerwill-life.org.uk/history/homebrum.htm site - particularly the link to Billesley/Swanshurst.
We are all ONE - despite appearances!

kelama

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:26:40 AM »
When I was a kid I thought I lived in a Roman villa till someone told me it was a slum.

cappdn

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »
Camp Hill was where Prince Rupert, Charles 1sts Nephew, camped the night before he attacked Brum, The brummies Blocked off the main Street at Deritend and stood to bravely pointing there muskets  up the road, but Princy boy fooled them he rode across the fields and came in down the side streets, gave the Brummies a wacking and burnt the town down" apart from the pub that is".
The Brummies who were affiliated to the Roundhead side, retaliated and shot uo Aston Hall with a cannon.
Happy Days.
By the way our part of Balsall Heath was all slums, but we managed ok. we did not know better.

Regards to all

Dennis

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy