Author Topic: Ancient history  (Read 12373 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Ancient history
« on: December 08, 2005, 02:59:05 PM »
Are there any roman ruins or other archeological stuff actually in Birmingham?

wallyb71

Re: Ancient history
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 08:55:18 PM »
Yes, When I lived in Kingstanding there was an archeological site at the top of Kingstanding hill. It was surrounded by a fence and there was a trench in there and some trees. I was told that King Charles stood there.

Peter Walker

Re: Roman relics
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 01:08:05 AM »
There are reputedly relics of a Roman encampment at Metchley Fort, between Selly Oak and Harborne, and Rykneld Street is supposed to have been a north-south Roman road which was followed by parts of Pershore Road in Stirchley, Icknield Street between Spring Hill and Hockley, Wellhead Lane in Perry Barr, and bits of Kingstanding. When I went to school 6o years ago we were told that you could still see the camber of the old Roman Road in Sutton Park, not far from the Parson & Clerk pub, but I never found it, although I was always on the lookout for things like that.
You can read all about this sort of thing on the superb free website of the Victoria County Histories, Volume 7 (Warwickshire)  - Mr Google or others will find it for you, I'm sure.
Peter

wallyb71

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 09:00:52 PM »
Yes Peter, I remember the Roman Rd in Sutton Park. When I lived in Kingstanding I used to go to the park on my bike and go in the gate by the Parson and Clerk and turn to the left and ride along the trail, which now I know was the old Roman Rd, up to the golf links. I have found some photos of it  here,http://www.mikekemble.com/sutton/suttoncoldfield.html which I will try to post here.  George.

Aston Territorial

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:24:03 AM »
I found a Roman Brooch in a field at the back of Asda in Minworth.

TC

cappdn

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 11:36:19 AM »
There  were a few interestig events thst happened in the Birmingham area during the Civil war in the mid 1600s. Prince Rupert ( Charles 1st) cousin tried to take his troops ( The Caveliers) through the town, he camped at Camp Hill and was supposed to have passed the night at Stratford house. which is still there.
The Drummies built  a barricade across the Road at Deritend, he sent his cavelry across and down the heath and flanked the town by coming in up the side lanes. they had a bit of a skirmish and the Caveliers burnt a few houses dowm. Luckily the did not burn the pub down The " Crown" as that realy would have been a disaster.

Andy Capp

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:21:18 PM »
I was always told that Cannon Hill was named because cannons were mounted there during the english civil war. Can anyone shed any light on this claim. Andy Capp

Andy Capp

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 05:37:14 PM »
Iseem to remember someone telling me that there was a Toll Gate on the Stratford Road. Near to camp hill. Is there any history to this Andy Capp

cappdn

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 10:03:36 AM »
I have a book called Balsall Heath A History, By Valerie M Hart, first published in 1992 by Brewin Books, Studley, Warwickshire B80 7LG. The ISBN Number is 1  85858 001 3. This gives a history about Balall Heath from the 18th Century, A turnpike trust was established in 1767 with toll gates at Kyrwicks Lane and the other end was at Edgbaston lane, now Edgbaston Rd. this was along the top of the heath along what now is the Mosely Rd.
Regards
Dennis

Andy Capp

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 03:05:38 PM »
Does anyone remember the big rock in the middle of Cannon Hill Park with railings round it. It was said it was part of a meteor from space . I dont know if there was any truth in it. What happened to it is it still there. Andy Capp

Jacqueline

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 11:59:31 PM »
There are ruins but not much of them at Weoley Castle. Also Kings Norton Green is steeped in history and the saracons head has housed the odd traveling royalty in bygone years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy