Author Topic: Stechford  (Read 4784 times)

Mogmeister

Stechford
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:08:18 PM »
Hi
Can anyone remember , the field and hill that is now the site of the swimming baths on Station Road , Stechford , and the housing estate behind the baths on the hill, as a youngster before the estate was built ,  in the winter when it had snowed  we used to go sledging down the hill , and in summer it was great for kite flying .

berniew

Re: Stechford
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
Hi Mogmeister was it called Manor Park I do remember it but the name is hazy it was a big area
 Bernie

Mogmeister

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
Hi Bernie ,
Yes i think it was called Manor Park  , but it was so long ago

vauxonion

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
Back in the early 60s Manor Park was our home football ground got to say on a cold wet windy day in January not a place I think of when it came to enjoyment. It was Bl---y freezing.Dek

blane

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:46:25 PM »
When I played football for Loxton St. Seniors one of our away games was at the park,and I remember that if your shot at goal missed, the ball rolled down the hill.We used to get off the No.14 bus at the ''Bulls Head'' and walk up Station Rd.,I loved it and used to think I was in country.When I was 21years old I got married and bought my house close by.Been there for 45years now and still love the place.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
Hi all,

I also played football at Manor Park; bloody awful pitches, the slopes were incredible and the pitches very stony.

I guess those who played there will have also played at Burney Lane Playing fields as well, more bloody awful slopes. Now, Washwwod Heath School, of course.

Tony

vauxonion

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
Hi Tony Burney Lane was our playing fields as well when I went to St Vincents we used make our own way and receive a coloured disc as a token to go on the bus every Friday afternoon nowhere to wash or change what a state we were in on the way back. Dek

blane

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
Hi allk  -  Remember the Air Raid shelter just inside Burney Lane playing fields which were used for changing rooms,cold,damp,dark (no electric)and no doors.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
Hi Vauxonion,

I remember those coloured disks, My Mom and Dad were "On the Buses" at Washwood Heath Garage in the early 50s!

Tony

planetmalc

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:09:01 AM »
That estate on Manor Park hill  -  was that the one that the singer Joan Armatrading grew up in?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

blane

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
Hi Planetmalc  -  Joan Armatrading and her family lived on Station Rd. in one of those large victorian houses just passed the baths,on the same side going towards the Police station.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy