Author Topic: Angelina street and William Henry Street 1940  (Read 37012 times)

Donald F Butler

Re: Angelina street and William Henry Street 1940
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
Roy One

I wonder if you can give me some advice, help me trace my grandmothers Charlotte Jessie (Hume ) Butler whereabouts  after she left Islington London to marry up with here husband, Arthur Butler she arrived at New Street Station, but her husband didnt appear she was given a flat by a cousen behind a caffee in 185 Golden Hillock road, with here 7 Children

She is next seen living at the Sydenham Hotell, Small Heath, were she stayed there for years, with he husband appearing from time to time. before moving to 101 Cooksey Road in the same district.

I have located a picture of the hotel from the 1920s and one from the 60s. and it appears to be no bigger than a public house.

Don

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
hi d.f.b
im sorry but I can not help you on this one but we have members that may be able too  keep looking in on the forum im sure someone will come up with info roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Donald F Butler

« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2013, 07:33:21 PM »
Thank you Roy.  O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Donald

The Sydenham Hotel in my time was nothing more than a glorified public house, though at one time it was a hotel and it has been rebuilt as a hotel again now. All the addresses you give are in the Small Heath area of Birmingham and were within a stones throw of each other.

The roads that these properties were on are still in existence but the properties themselves fell foul of the demolition hammer years back now. Was there anything in particular that you wanted to know?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Donald F Butler

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2013, 02:13:24 AM »
phil it appears that they all loved in 101 Cooksey Road, in the 1911 census,

It is after this that Arthur the Charlottes Husband and my Grand Father disappears, from sight.

When my father was married in 1933 it appears that the couple moved to 185 Golden Hillock Road, before moving to warstock.

I cant trace Arthur after this date,

I think that 185 was behind that coffee house that you were discussing opposite the BSA entrance.

Thank you for you help

Don

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
Don

I have removed you last post because it contains your telephone number, it you want to pass email addresses and telephone numbers, then it is best to do it via the messaging system and nor on the open forum or else you might find all sorts of weirdoes ringing you up.

If you want to take the risk and reinstate it then let me know and I will put it back up.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Donald F Butler

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
No Phil that's fine.

Don.

Donald F Butler

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2014, 08:52:33 PM »
Shelley I have been looking through the family photo's during the 40s O have a lovely little photo of your Mom and Dad, Joan and Bill. they must have been in the 30s/40s. I also have a wedding photo.

Billie was our family favourite as was Joan. 
Every time Bill came home on leave from the Navy, my Dad would take him up-stairs and take one of many Shoe Box,s from Joan conformed that he would give him a £5.

Equivalent to £200 plus.

Hope we can meet again. one day. the only problem is that if all the dogs and cats are also. part of life after. I only hope I am nit the youngest. given the job of cleaning em out. (At least 45 if you count the time we had a litter of Greyhounds, (8) 6 Staffies, 1  Chawowa, Two Alsations. a Manchester Terrier, and a Jack Russell.

I would love to meet Albert and Jinny again.

Love

Don.

Maria

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2014, 02:05:07 PM »
Hi Don xx
It has been lovely reminiscing your info on this site xxxx
It has been a while since I have popped in to take a look xx
I would love a copy of the photos you have if it is possible to email them to me or post them on Face Book xx xx
Love to you all
 Maria xx :D

timber2422

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »
Mal

Here is an old snap of the Hen and Chicks, I think the other street photo must be Cheston St across Rocky Lane.

Phil
I lived at 12 William Henry St from 1942 until we moved to Ladywood, the houses were then demolished. My Mother Hilda Jones used to drink in the Hen and Chickens pub and my Aunt Lou Gough used to work in the factory next to the pub, i think it was either GKN or Lucas opposite the houses. 

Alexander Rawlins

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2019, 11:45:38 PM »
Angelina Street was the location of a small German and German-speaking community in the 1860s and 70s. My 3G grandfather, John Fisher, my 2G grandfather, George Mead, and my 3G uncles, Theodor Krause and Karl Bangerter, all lived there. I suspect that there were other Germans living these whose story I have yet to uncover.

As far as I know, nothing has been written about this community, which is a shame. George Mead and Theodor Krause and families were all caught up in the Germanophobia that accompanied the outbreak of war in 1914 and all ended up having t o register as enemy aliens. It must have been a terrible time for them. It does, however, make fascinating family history.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy