Author Topic: Angelina street and William Henry Street 1940  (Read 36978 times)

Don.Butler

Angelina street and William Henry Street 1940
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:15 AM »
As a newbie, I would be grateful for any pictures of information of my grand parents, home in Angelina street, very close to the prince of Wales Pub were i used to have to fetch my grand mothers jug of ale, covered by a cloth so that others would not know, what she was drinking, he name was Jane Russell wife of Albert Sydney Russell. who would spend almost every day sitting outside having been gassed during ww1,
My father had been a very successful business man from 1932 to 49 were the family went skint having to move from Warstock (Posh at the time)  and into a cousins flat in William Henry Street. for 2 years before being given a maisonette in West Heath.

Don Butler

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Angelina street and William Henry Street 1940
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
Hi Don

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure I remember that we have someone on here who said that they lived in Angelina St. My wifes family came out of Dymoke St, just around the corner.

I've attached a couple of photos of Angelina St and one of the Prince of wales public house.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
hi Phil
           yep that me  i lived at no one back of 111 Angelina street just up form luckets the paper shop and by the black patch
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »

hi phil
        on this photo  just up from the car you can see a shop that shop was called luckets and just past that was a coal yard and then the house that i lived in   opposite the car was a greengrocers called dolly dings (toffee on a stick)

PaulE

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
These pictures are great, but I wonder if anyone has any shots of William Edward St - my grandfather had a workshop there a long time ago, but sadly we haven't got any photos.

Thanks

Paul

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »
Hi PaulE

Welcome to the forum, as I have been asked for photos of William Edward St before and I couldn't help then I know I cant help you now. Although I am keeping an eye open for anything and if I come across anything I will post a copy here.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Don.Butler

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »
Thank you for the comment about "Dolly" when we moved back to Balsall heath from warstock. (posh area at the time ( Loxley Avenue) 1947 we were placed in a small flat in william edward street, and I used to go to dollys for a toffee apple, covered in dirt :) from the potatoes she also sold, never did me any harm.
my mothers family lived in angelina street, Russells, for many years, 1 outside toilet, for 6 families I wasn't allowed to follow, drunken person, until the toilet had been cleaned.
Escaped into the Royal Airforce, from 1955 (3 years) afterwards family fortunes improved, but my mother didn't survive long enough to see that happen.died in 1957) :(

Don

djt

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:21:14 PM »
hi my parents both grew up in Angelina Street in the 1930's. Dads 9- very soon so pulling together a DVD sort of this is your life so this is all really useful

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
Hi djt

Welcome to the forum, if you type Angelina St into the search box at the top right of the page it should bring up all the posts that mention Angelina St. Hope you find some things of interest.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

shelley

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »
Don,
I was just looking up about Angelina Street and realised that you were talking about my Great Nanny and Grandad (Jane known as Jinny and Albert). They are my Mum's Nanny and Grandad. My Mum is Maria Russell and she lived at 8 back of 78 Angelina Street with her Dad, My Grandad Billy Russell his wife, Joan and her brother and sister Pamela and Billy. Mum used to collect Nanny's jug of beer from The Prince of Wales and has told stories about the sweet shop and it's dirty delights! mmmm! Don't forget the cat sat on the counter with the cheeses..... Love to hear more stories from you - when can you come and visit your Devon family - we would so love to see you xx

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
hi Shelly  welcome to the forum
            i lived on the other side of the road to you one back of 111 by the black patch

dolly ding i knew her well i was in her shop two or three times aweek i used to take bets to the bookies for her or her hubby  at that time the bookie had a runner he would stand on the corner and you gave him your bet

for that i would get a toffee apple or a lump of toffee on a stick  now i seen dolly making the toffee in the back of the shop and she made it on an open fire  she had a big tin that she put the treacle in she would put sugar and butter in the mix bring it to the boiled  the she would dip the apples in and put them on the sideboard  then she would tip the toffee out on to brown paper on the table and then cut it up to lumps and put in a stick that hubby had cut up out of orange box or apple box's  this would be about 1951 or 52 not sure  roy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy