Author Topic: WW2 Sailors  (Read 11864 times)

cresser

WW2 Sailors
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:15:31 AM »

Hi all again, I found these pics in my Dads belongings, I believe they were his shipmates from WW2. If anyone recognises any of them, let me know and I will happily forward them, cheers, cresser. By the way, on the back of the picture with six matelots in, taken  at the Central Promenade, Blackpool,  there are the names, ( some a bit faded ! ),: P.?. Ford, S. Whiting ?, J.H. Gillard, and, R.H. Hinton. The chap in the middle photograph, and at top right, I think are the same man. Ring any bells at all....... ( Of course, some of these sailors might not have come from, or indeed, had anything to do with Birmingham, but it`s worth a try).
`Time and Tide Wait for No Man`... my Dad.

Steve

Re: WW2 Sailors
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »
The RN paid you 3 pence a day if you had a beard.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
Why?

Steve

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Anne, It's one of the old traditions of the RN. If you were teatotal and didn't take your rum or grog ration you also were paid 3p a day extra.
  In old times sailors grew a pigtail and tarred it, hence the broad collar and the name "Jack Tar".
It's considered bad luck to whistle aboard ship, superstition had it you could whistle up the wind - a gale; but there is a practical reason. A lot of orders were transmitted by the use of the Bosun's Call, a type of whistle, and Bosun didn't want any one getting confused by someone's aimless tootling.
 Sailors wore an earring so if they fell into the oggin St Peter could grab them by it and keep them afloat till rescued.
 Cloth was sold by the Ell, the distance between your sternum and your fingers at the end of your outstretched arm. (Never buy cloth from a shorty ;D ) Jack simply folded the cloth in half, cut halfway up the middle and stitched in the legs and side. Cut a bit off for braces and there's your bellbottoms, or Dutch Britches as they were in the 17th century.
 Splicing the Mainbrace was such a pain the tars involved got an extra tot of rum. So in respect of heroic or tough conditions, or a visit from a VIP became an excuse to "Splice the Mainbrace" everyone getting a tot.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:28:20 PM »
In old times sailors grew a pigtail and tarred it

Why would they do that?

Steve

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »
To keep their hair from blowing in their faces in the wind. It was fashionable to wear one's hair long in those days. Only prisoners got their heads shaved to keep down the lice.

myrt

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »

Hi all again, I found these pics in my Dads belongings, I believe they were his shipmates from WW2. If anyone recognises any of them, let me know and I will happily forward them, cheers, cresser. By the way, on the back of the picture with six matelots in, taken  at the Central Promenade, Blackpool,  there are the names, ( some a bit faded ! ),: P.?. Ford, S. Whiting ?, J.H. Gillard, and, R.H. Hinton. The chap in the middle photograph, and at top right, I think are the same man. Ring any bells at all....... ( Of course, some of these sailors might not have come from, or indeed, had anything to do with Birmingham, but it`s worth a try).

Hi. I just joined this forum to give you a tip!  :)

If you know any of the names of the ships your father served on, add them to the thread - if possible to your original post. You may know some from memory, but if you have his service record they'll be listed. It's still a long shot but it's just that bit more information that might end in a 'result'.

I was recently able to provide the sons of a shipmate of my dad's with two 1950's pictures of their parents they had never seen before. I found them using a combination of the surname of the serviceman - in this case a Royal Marine - and the various ship's names.

Service records can be a bit confusing as they use acronyms etc, and sometimes list things that may sound like a ship's name but are in fact a training establishment. You can google the names to see if they are in fact a ship.

Anyway, best of luck to you in what I think is a worthwhile effort.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
Hi Myrt,

Welcome and thanks for that little bit of advice, I would also add a little more to those seeking information or advice of any kind. Always try to include as much information as possible as it is sometime the thing you would at least expect that is often the fact that assists someone to find what you are looking for.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cresser

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »
Hi myrt,
Thats a very good idea, I`ll do it now. Don`t know why I did`nt when I first posted. Cheers, cresser. O0

cresser

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »

Hi all again, I found these pics in my Dads belongings, I believe they were his shipmates from WW2. If anyone recognises any of them, let me know and I will happily forward them, cheers, cresser. By the way, on the back of the picture with six matelots in, taken  at the Central Promenade, Blackpool,  there are the names, ( some a bit faded ! ),: P.?. Ford, S. Whiting ?, J.H. Gillard, and, R.H. Hinton. The chap in the middle photograph, and at top right, I think are the same man. Ring any bells at all....... ( Of course, some of these sailors might not have come from, or indeed, had anything to do with Birmingham, but it`s worth a try). By the way, some of the vessels my Father served aboard were; HMS CAVA (St Angelo),  HMS STAFFA & HMT LOWTHER. (Thanks for the idea Myrt.)

Steve

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 06:06:49 PM »
This was my ship 1962. HMS Diana  D126 of 5th Destroyer squadron (Daring Class)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy