Author Topic: brum  (Read 1003 times)

mickie

brum
« on: March 01, 2007, 11:11:48 PM »
Everything I see about Birmingham is all about the NEW Birmingham and how it is the new centre of things, it has always been important,I grew up there during the second world war, during the bombing, and before that it was an important industrial hub, the new arcitecture is hideious and it reminds me of the new J G Ballard book Kingdom Come,  any opinions on this from anyone.? Mickie

Bannion

Re: brum
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 02:51:40 PM »
Mickie,
Welcome to the site.   
I too was a youngster of Brum in the 40/50's.  There was an atmosphere in the town then that on the rare occasions, I have returned, seems to have gone.
The Bull Ring had a magic with all the vendors along the side of the road and the stalls spread out.  Never did see the fella who had been bound in chains escape but I suppose there was not enough cash in his tin to make it all worth while.  The paper and rubbish strewn cobblestones.
It seemed that every Saturday my mother would head first for Moor Street warehouse followed by the fish and meat markets.   Then as an added treat we would traipse up to the Old Square for Lewis's and a cheap lunch in the British Restaurant just off the Old Square.
Today's Brum is too clinical in comparison and lacking in warmth.  Do they still have the hot potato barrows?  Could not resist those cone shaped paper bags into which they put the hot chestnuts.  Broke my tooth on one of those and I still have the gap.
No the city will never be the same. Still that is progress they say.
But we have our memories.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: brum
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 01:20:01 PM »
brum has gone its not the same now its heart is dead but if your a kid now in 40 years time they will be saying the same things its called chang and know one likes that but also its the folk they do not have the time to stop and look and that if you can understand what they are saying the days of hot spud man and hot dogs and the kindness of brum has gone its just a cold heartless place to make money but saying that you get out what you put in  so im told
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy