Author Topic: Lido - where and when  (Read 9961 times)

potblack

Lido - where and when
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:05 PM »
I am intrigued by this photo. that Phil put on an earlier blog and which he believed was Rowheath Lido.

The pavilion behind it is clearly the one on the Mens Recreation Ground - corner of Bournville Road and Linden Road.
There is no lido there and I wonder if it could be on the site of the Baths on the 'Birdcage' before the proper baths were built.

Phil. Do you have a date for the photo?

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Lido - where and when
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
Potblack

Sorry I do not have a date for the photo, I'm not sure if there was one give. What I do remember was there were two pools and because it outraged public morals to have men & women bathing next to each other the womens pool was screened off, as can be seen to the left of the photo. So in my estimation it would be an early photo, perhaps early 1900's

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Osiris13

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 01:04:41 AM »
I used Rowheath lido (or Cotteridge lido as we called it) loads in the late sixties and early seventies and I don't think this is it. The building in the background looks more like something much nearer the Cadbury's complex.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:41:40 PM »
potblack,

On studying that photo I have to agree with you that the Pavilion in the background is indeed Bournville Pavilion and not the Rowheath one.

I have done a little research and found that originally there was a lido in Bournville but in the 70's because of complaints about the noise and new stringent public health and safety rules it was closed down.

The first photo shows the Pavilion (Bournville) that is seen in the background of the lido. The second chocolate box type photo shows a lake behind the football pitch that must have been the two pools before it was closed and converted.

We did in fact have a member on this forum who used to use this lido in her younger days who's name I think was Mary who asked if I had a photo of this Lido. I in fact showed her a photo of Rowheath Lido, typical of me when I am out of my element (the slums of Brum).

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

potblack

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
Hi Phil
thanks for the additional photos.
From my own experience and that of Cadbury employees I have spoken to there was no lido on the mens rec. as recent as 1970's. In fact I would say they were pre 1940's
The water on the choc box photo is almost certainly the 'cooling plant' - a series of pipes that used the brook to control their temperature. They were on the corner of the birdcage - might still be there in fact.
I think the only way we might resolve when the lidos existed is to look at a series of Ord Survey maps going back through the 1900s. I'll keep looking and asking.

Pamela

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
When I worked there 1957-61 the mens enclosed swimming baths were in the Birdcage by the cycle sheds,and the ladies baths were just inside the factory near the coat rooms I think     Pamela

Just looked in a booklet I have about George Cadbury and Bournville,A stream called the Bourn ran through the area it was widened to make an outdoor swimming pool as George was keen to see his men take a dip in their lunch break as he often did.  There is a plan from 1912 showing  pool and reservoir in front of the mens recreation ground.   

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »
hi Pam
          now i was told that one day it was for the men and the next day it was for females  they just had the one swimming pool but they did not allow mix bathing
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Pamela

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
roy ben
Not when I was there, there were two pools
just added a bit more to my other post
 Pam

potblack

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »
Well done Pam

That seems to clarify the situation.

Pamela

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Looking at old photos on some internet sites the baths were built in 1904 perhaps at that time it was alternate days then for men and women until the mens baths were built later in the birdcage.    Pam

pickard.r

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »
Looks like the site is now a car park.

You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy