Author Topic: mods in 1960  (Read 21209 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: mods in 1960
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
I was never a member of the double zero, I never owned a motorbike seriously and I never as much as went through the front door of the clubhouse at St Basil's in Heath Mill Lane.

I believe the building is still standing today, but I think it has something to do with the homeless, but this is how it looked back then.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stevejarvis3

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »
Hey Malc,

Thanks for that, I didn't know about that one, I must dodge over there one day, as like thousands of other Brummies I moved out of Brum 23 years ago near to Tamworth. I could see Brum being taken off us and I just wanted somewhere peaceful to have and then bring up a family, amongst my own kind!

My sons just reminded me we need to come over to Brum in the morning so I will have a look around Deritend to see what I can find re Scooters. There is a place called Gran Sport in Bowyer Street, I bet that`s what your`e talking about.

By the way I still get about £5 a week, if I`m lucky!

Thanks for the info.

Regds

Steve

stevejarvis3

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info on the Double Zero Club.

As someone new to this site can you tell me why I can see the photo you supplied if I click on the link supplied on your email, but if I then log into the site I can only see your reply?

Also I saw a list of photographs earlier on the site, but is there a wasy I can look at them.

As I say, new to the site, sorry if I`ve missed the obvious, or just being a bit thick.

Cheers

Steve

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2011, 09:03:27 PM »
Steve Jarvis

I would think you are talking about the email sent out automatically by the site when someone adds to a thread you have posted to. If you want to switch these emails off you can do so in your profile.

The list of photos would be on the Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley thread. I did a list of the photos on that thread because there are so many. If you look at the list and note the number of the post you then find the corresponding number on the thread. It saves a little time if you are looking for a certain photo.

I hope this helps.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stevejarvis3

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »
Thanks Phil for letting me know how it works.

Do you have any photos of Sun Street in Edgbaston and the cinema that you used to be just around the corner on the Bristol Road junction. I remember going there to Saturday morning matinees with my brother Richard. We once entered our `guy` in a November competition for the best guy and came second, the judge was Noele Gordon of Crossroads fame. I remember this was the first cinema to show `Cinerama`and went to see Ben Hur there in this format.

Happy days.

Regards

Steve

Steve

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
To be more precise as to the location of the DZ, it was at the rear of St Basil's in Heath Mill Lane which ran from the left side of the Old Crown in Digbeth.  (Just refeshing your memory John, as I frequently need)
  To me nostalgia is good for the soul, I always enjoyed going to such auto jumble sales as you describe but obviously for old BSA's Bits for me. Sometimes not always to buy, but to meet up with like minded people and have a good chinwag. No doubt you have too Malc. O0
 Phil, Ta for the Pic of St Basil's.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

john2000

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2011, 07:25:10 AM »
To be more precise as to the location of the DZ, it was at the rear of St Basil's in Heath Mill Lane which ran from the left side of the Old Crown in Digbeth.  (Just refeshing your memory John, as I frequently need)
  To me nostalgia is good for the soul, I always enjoyed going to such auto jumble sales as you describe but obviously for old BSA's Bits for me. Sometimes not always to buy, but to meet up with like minded people and have a good chinwag. No doubt you have too Malc. O0
 Phil, Ta for the Pic of St Basil's.

There was a guy who lived not far from there, he lived by the Midland Red bus station in a pub which was on the corner a bit further up from the station, he had a younger brother called John ( who was a bit of a terraway), but I'm blessed if I can remember the name of the guy, and I cant even remember if he had a bike,..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
Steve, I remember them "jumble sales", but you always had to leave some one by by your bike. if not when you came back there would be some thing missing like the front forks, or an exhaust, or even the bike its self,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

stevejarvis3

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2011, 08:41:58 AM »
Hi John2000,

Yeh your right, I`m very protective of `The Blue Duck`, more often than not I dont even take him to these things unless a member of my family can come with me andf stand guard over him with a Kalashnikoff whilst I have a look round!

planetmalc

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »

My sons just reminded me we need to come over to Brum in the morning so I will have a look around Deritend to see what I can find re Scooters. There is a place called Gran Sport in Bowyer Street, I bet that`s what your`e talking about.

Don't know anything about Bowyer Street, Steve; it was definitely Gibb Street that hosted the scooter rally.

Like 'Double Zero Steve' says, rallies are great places for a chinwag and making new friends.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »
The Blue Duck`, ? :-\
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy