Author Topic: mods in 1960  (Read 21148 times)

stevejarvis3

Re: mods in 1960
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2011, 10:42:56 PM »
Hi NickCC,

Stockland Coaches.......I`s forgotten all about them until you mentioned them, great memories, but the pay was poor all round. :)

Cheers

Steve

stevejarvis3

« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
Hi John2000,

You could always get a pair of Green again then mix em and have a Red/Green and then tomorrow Green/Red!

Cheers

Steve

planetmalc

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »
Hi, I was a Mod in Brum in the late 60`s. I used to live at Stockland Green and went to Stockland Green Bilateral School. When I left school and went to work for a £5 a week........

Steve

You were done, mate; all the Rockers were on £10 a week!
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
I thought mod's and rockers had pretty well died out by the late 60's, I was neither and I would have wanted at least 6 bob an hour for my 44 hour week.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stevejarvis3

« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »
Hi Phil,

Yeh I think it was the end of a great era now Mods and Rockers go on big scooter and bike ride outs together, what a love in!

To Planetmac, the rockers probably got £10 cause they all did dirty jobs, (where there`s muck there`s money!) us Mods did clean office jobs, or at least I did after I finished my apprenticeship at Wolsely Hughes in Witton.

Steve

« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
Having been a Rocker, you're totally wrong about them all doing dirty jobs. They came from all walks of life.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

stevejarvis3

« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »
Hi Steve,

Just josssin,

I've got quote a few friends who are bikers, I used to go for a ride with my best mate who has a `63 Matchless, matches quite well with my `63 Lambretta LI 125, but I've not been out with him since he got his Harley.

The great thing now is that `Mods` and `Rockers` all get on and as I`ve said previously, go on Ride Out`s together, both groups do lots of charity work separate or together, but the history of Mods and Rockers is still great, although I suppose the things that happened in the early 60`s at seaside resorts on the South Coast, would definitely be called riots by Mr Cameron and you would be sent to prison for 4 years just for riding a scooter or bike!

Regards

Steve

Steve

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
Steve, At the Double Zero we used to host the Skins of the Stonehouse Gang, and vice Versa. Had very little ecky thump. O0
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

stevejarvis3

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
Hi Steve,

Where was the Double Zero club?

Also, there are quite a few old skinheads involved in scootering today. It just passed me buy around `79, but Quadraphenia came out which bought a lot of people in to the scene, old Mods, new guys who wanted to be Mods and the skinhead movement, but when I go to scooter rallies everyone gets on with each other and there`s a wide range of music played which suits all tastes.

Regds

Steve

john2000

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »
Hi Steve,

Where was the Double Zero club?

Also, there are quite a few old skinheads involved in scootering today. It just passed me buy around `79, but Quadraphenia came out which bought a lot of people in to the scene, old Mods, new guys who wanted to be Mods and the skinhead movement, but when I go to scooter rallies everyone gets on with each other and there`s a wide range of music played which suits all tastes.

Regds

Steve

Where was the Double Zero club.?  well it was in Digbeth, a little further up from the Custard house today, you went under a bridge and on the right was a very small entrance, ( only one guy could go through at a time, ( handy when there was any problems ) you could fight an army that way, one of the time, ha, there was a very small yard where you went into the building the bar was in the far corner the fridge was on the left in the corner.. but that was a long time ago, 40 years,and plus.?..but we still remember it as if it was yesterday, that was a time when we would stand up and be counted, Rockers and Mods,? more like Rockers a puffs..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

planetmalc

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2011, 04:17:09 PM »

........when I go to scooter rallies everyone gets on with each other and there`s a wide range of music played which suits all tastes.

Regds

Steve

Dunno if you're still in Brum, Steve, but they hold occasional scooter rallies in Gibb Street (off Deritend).      Hundreds of Mods with their scooters, plus sales tables where you can buy all those hard-to-get bits to keep your wheels on the road.      I went past last Saturday and there were a few guys there with mirror-encrusted scooters, so it might be a regular meeting place for the five-quid-a-week folk.    ;) 
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy