Author Topic: Ashforth Address - search and find  (Read 2577 times)

sh

Ashforth Address - search and find
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:31:01 PM »
 :)
Here's an address I found on Wm. Ashforth, early 1800's.  Can anyone decipher and inform me as to what this means - or meant - or where, today, this place is?

Kings Norton - Edgbaston - No. of Enumeration District - 3
"Wellington Road which leads out of Bristol Road to Edgbaston old church and includes Sir Harry's Lane and Priory Lane leading thereout to Bristol Road Spring Street from Birmingham Parish to Wellington Road, Sun Street West adjoinging Spring Street Summer Street leading out of Sun Street."

Wm. and Keturah Ashforth were married in early 1800's.  Records show that Keturah lived on 101 Spring Street; perhaps Wm. did as well when he was living.

These are great, great, great grandparents of mine.  Also, I'd like to learn the names of the children; one was Charles.  Thanks a bunch, sh

sh

Re: Ashforth Address - search and find
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 11:18:39 PM »
I know this is kind of a "puzzle", but all we need is an old map to determine just where Spring Street was.  Does it still exist?

Where descriptions like this "usual" in Census - as I looked up the Ashforth, Wm. for this probably a couple of weeks ago, now.

To me, this is most interesting, and I really do want help to determine why they gave such a long description, and if anyone knows where this is/was.

Thanks a bunch - sh

john2000

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 04:05:17 PM »
sh, Spring St, is still there, it comes off the new Lee Bank Middleway ( Freeway to you ) you will see it crosses the Bristol Rd, some of the roads around there are gone, but ( lets go back in time then there where no freeways just small dingy streets ), the road we will walk has now been wiped off the map and new highspeed freeway takes its place.
we are now standing on the corner of Sun St and the Bristol Rd, the NR 8 bus goes up Sun St ( 200yards long) Spring St is on the right, across from there is Gough Rd and Spring Rd, ( Gough Rd is now called Woodview Drive,) on the left on the corner of Sun St and Gough Rd is/was a small cafe, look to the right and you will see Spring St, the Street is only 100yds long, and on a hill, you're standing at the bottom of the hill, on the righthand side of the Street are some houses and a small yard ( for storage ), on the left open ground where they have built a new school called Lee Bank,... hope this is some help to you.. ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 04:07:35 PM »
sh. the time zone was 1960-1960

john2000

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 04:09:19 PM »
sorry 1950-1960  :-[

sh

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 06:24:42 PM »
Hi, John2000

It sure sounds like the past for the address of Wm. and Keturah Ashforth is gone forever.  Keturah survived Wm., and died around 1870.

Is there any way I can learn about what the area was like in 1870?

Please advise and thanks, sh

sh

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »
sh. the time zone was 1960-1960

John2000 - I don't understand what you mean by, "the time zone was 1960-1960".

Please advise, and thanks, sh

john2000

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
sh, the time zone was when I was running around in that area, it should have said 1950-1960, ( thats my time )  ;D

I would think the area was the same then ( 1870 ) as it was in  1950-1960, things didn't change much, the sad thing is theres no one you can ask who lived in the area, as you may know every thing has gone, pulled down in/about the late 60's-70's.
the lady who owned the little cafe has passed on, her children moved on, so it will be difficult to trace anyone,
if it will help you, try to find photos of Balsall Heath, ( most of the houses looked the same back then), have a look at the photos of "Sella building"it some where on this forum, the houses on the left of the pic are about the same. ....................John 2000

john2000

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »
sh, you ask what the area was like, well, there is/was a main road called Bristol Rd, on one side is an area called Balsall Heath, and on the other is Edgbaston,
Balsall Heath was a run down slum area, which was not a nice place to live, poor housing drunks,pimps, and ladies of the night, it had its good and bad points, but it was home to many people,
Edgbaston was the snob area, where before the war ( 1940-1945) the large houses had maids that would shoo you away from the door, the upper class lived there ( they still do in some parts, ).
well Spring Street was just on the edge of Balsall Heath and Edgbaston,  it was a nice area, the roads near there all had trees and small gardens on the front, they were big houses, with 4-8 bed rooms ( spring St, had 2-3 bed rooms
) so you could sat that the Ashforths had one foot in the mud, and the other on the grass.............. John 2000  8)

sh

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 06:05:25 PM »
Thanks, John2000 -

It's kind of you to give me a "vision" of what this area was like at onetime.

Because Wm.Ashforth was a broker, it would seem that he would have a house (or maybe several) in this type of area.  I read where his wife, Keturah, lived once at 101 Spring Street (Feilor Cottage, or something like that; and then at 103 Spring Street (probably smaller house); accordingly, she had a (stated in Census) maid.

I tried obtaining info at the library, but they don't have data - so they stated - and refered me to another option for a (EGADS) fee, by the hour.

Oh, how I wish there were a website which showed this area in earlier days.

The British websites are excellent.  I haven't seen much of houses/street names in Edgbaston.  Your description is very much appreciated; and I love your last sentence.

sh

sh

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 06:27:28 PM »
John2000 -

I've looked throughout this forum - well, not all of it - and I've done a couple of searches and cannot locate, "Sella building" as you described.

Help!!!

sh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy