Author Topic: Ashforth Address - search and find  (Read 2578 times)

john2000

Re: Ashforth Address - search and find
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 08:25:26 PM »
sh. your Ashforth's must have been standing on the grass,  ;D, OK, lets find Stella for you, go to Birmingham History, go to page 4, half way down the page you will see "Stella Brum 1947." you Will have two photos ( both the same) but one is summer and the other is winter, (1947 was a bad year for snow).
now, in the photo showing the building "Stella"( on the right,) on the left you will see the houses I'm talking about,  they are the same as the ones in Spring Street.
PS: my grand farther lived in/or very near the place where the boy is standing, ( small world )
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 08:35:06 PM »
There is a guy called Chris 93940, he has helped us some times with some great photos and he has an old map of B/ham that I'm sure will have Sun st. and Spring St, on it some where, he may see this and reply, also if you have the Google earth, you can zoom in right on to the street,  ( your street is between Bell barn Rd and Lee bank middle way, )... have fun  ;D

sh

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 10:57:25 PM »
Okay, I found the page you mentioned, and I saw it when I perused this Forum, but I didn't see what I thought were "houses"; i.e., houses with trees and small gardens.

I'm terribly unfamiliar with what houses are in Britain.  May I surmise that houses can be/are rows of the same type, perhaps a block or more long?

Houses, as I know them, are individual and have their own territory; for instance our houses is built on .5 acre of land.  It's not attached to anything or any other housing.

Still, I've seen "housing" in Aston, and I believed said housing to be like condominiums, about two stories each, all joined together.

AND, I do have Google Map, so I looked Spring Street up and found that it has nothing there anymore - I do see a "super highway" near it.

Amazing and sad how things change.  Life goes on.

Thanks again, sh

john2000

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 11:43:12 PM »
sh, No, in the photo of that Street with the factory "Stella"in it we would call a slum,the ( mud) the other type with the nice front garden and trees are the grass.
a lot of the slum areas in and around Brum, are what we call terrace houses, or courts, ( court houses where mainly at the back of a row of houses and the only entrance to the court was though a small passage way called an "entry" you will see alot of address with this, 5/27, ( 5 being the fifth house at the rear of Nr 27,) ie: my uncle lived at nr 3/110 Hope st. so that meant he lived at nr 3 behind nr 110.
it was a world you will never know, most of the people who come on this forum, only touched it for a short time ( they grew up and moved on ), but to our parents and grand parents it was a way of life.
a lot of us now live in beautiful homes, ( grass) which our parents only could dream about, the cold damp drafty hovels are long since gone, a lot of us moved to other countries, to were the climat is warm and sunny, some even have a second home in Spain, France and switzerland, I myself live in the land of windmills and tulips, I made my home here after many years of working overseas,

sh

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »
Hi, John2000 -

You are correct in saying that, "it was a world you will never know".  I have seen movies that have tried to show that world, and it's a world I certainly wouldn't want to be in.  BUT, the people who lived in that world - I  hope - had fond memories even if it was tough living.  I can only hope that there was a smile that would be remembered, or a touch, or a kindness.

Life is difficult; most difficult for some, and horribly difficult for others.

I have done some studying of the "dark ages", for instance, and I can't even imagine living during those times.  It was awful.  I'm sure I would be the one who would speak out against the cruelty; and I'd probably be killed for it.  Still, it never should have happened.

We, today - at least most of us - live like kings compared to yesteryear, and compared to the horrific happenings that exist in other, dominated countries.

I think it's remembering or knowing what was - and determining that we just don't want to go there - that has brought man to his present day luxuries like having a comfortable home and green grass, and food to eat.

What a Blessing that is.

And you have windmills and tulips.  That's wonderful.  You've no doubt worked hard for this type of life.  Blessings to you. sh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy