Author Topic: Double Zero Club and Rockers of the 60's  (Read 33206 times)

john2000

Re: Double Zero Club and Rockers of the 60's
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 08:25:32 AM »
I was never a member of double zero but went with my dad who was doing a youth club course with Howard Squires. Squires was one of my teachers at Turves Green. Iwas a bit nervy at seeing all those leather clad  folk, studs etc , but shouldn't have worried. Soon as they found out dad was an ex scramble rider they wanted to hear more about where he,d ridden, what bikes he had etc. I went a few more times & enjoyed each visit.
I remember Howard Squires, When I was at the Youth club at Kings Heath across from the park, He used come down a lot ( He was my boss) .... Don't know if your dad is still alive, but if so ask him if he remembers a woman by the name of Lyn Mouur. J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

ranger

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Sadly, Dad died in 1991. His name was Albert Rowe he did quite a lot of youth work at that time & mentioned a lot of people but it was so long ago I dont remember any of them. I ordered a used copy of Dave Collyers book "Double Zero" yesterday & was amazed to see some copies were selling at £225! Not surprisingly I went for one at £9.95!

john2000

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 01:57:40 PM »
Sorry to hear that he passed on, He could have told you about the night that the mob from Wolverhampton came for a visit. There where a lot of stories about the guys from the ZZ, who which it was said to be in panic when they came shouting the mouths off. It was said some ran in to the church to get away from them.... Wrong.... If anything had started, we where on our home turf as you might say.
Just to get in to the yard, they had to pass through a single gate, Two guys could have held them off all day, next they had to come in side the club, which meant again a single door then a small passage, then in to the club it's self, Behind the bar was a fridge, ( To the left) and behind that was some chain, and a couple of steel bars, all ready to be picked up, if anything had started, Ok, there was a bit of a dust up, a bit of snot and a little blood, but no more than that, Mind you, I have to admit, If any one had said Boo, the whole lot would have gone up. It was a great club , because we where all the same, and had the same hobbies, and some times the same girls, ( but that's another story ha,), J2.

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

BrummieGray

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 04:26:30 PM »
Hi Ranger. I've read that book. Don't take it as gospel. (No pun intended)

planetmalc

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »
There was a great documentary about the heyday of British motorcycles (Brough, Norton Triumph, Vincent) on BBC4 last night; it's being repeated again on BBC4 at 10.30pm this Thursday  -  ask your Mom if you can stay up late to watch it! ;D
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

windsor

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 08:19:21 PM »
hi steve your right great fun and yes what a load of  err rubbish his book was.strange how he ended up the other side of the law though.we buried SMITHY not long back and PETE HAYES last week not tooo  bad as people said we wouldnt last till we were 21.aint heard off les the ted for ages still have contact with some  gabby etc. still married to DOUGLE   of DOUGLE and ZEB  fame. still get the tap on the shoulder (all parts of the world)(were you chairman of the zero? then off we would go for hours many memories.     cheers windsor the third   

Steve

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »
Nice to hear from you Johnny. I remember having some fun with you, you're a great winder up.  Funny, I was only thinking back the other day, any warm evening Zeb, Dougal, sue & Sandra would be sat  out front of the DZ.
 Sorry to hear about Smithy and  Pete, he built some amazing chops. Heard anything of his bro Nij? I heard he moved to the Smoke.
 Haven't seen Les since the '70's, swapped a BSA export rear light assembly for his Swiss army knife. lol
             Nelson
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

windsor

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »
hi steve is that the steve who washed his eye in sammys beer? well most people he he

windsor

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
sharon  who was your dad the old president of the zero? i was for many years     oooops

BrummieGray

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »
Johnny Windsor. Were you the one that was cutting hair with a hammer and piece of metal ? And went the wrong way over Camp Hill Flyover for 10 bob ?
Happy Days.

windsor

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »
that was because i washed me bonnie at the club. bloody hell we was on about that last week,but the youngsters look at you and you can see them thinking  silly old xxxxxxx and the bishop of birmingham still owes me five bob membership.  how ya doin?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy