Author Topic: fruit & veg Barrow  (Read 2187 times)

Andy Capp

fruit & veg Barrow
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:17:49 PM »
CAN ANY REMEMBER ERNIE GUEST & HIS WIFE WHO HAD A FRUIT & VEG BARROW ON THE CORNER OF STUDLEY STREET & LADYPOOL ROAD. HE HAD THE PITCH FOR MANY YEARS IN THE 1950S & 1960S. ANDY CAPP

AnnMarie

Re: fruit & veg Barrow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 03:33:48 AM »
 ;)Hello Andy Capp,

I remember the "fruit and veg cart" very well--one side of Studley St was the Co-op butchers and the other side was -or used to be Peacocks store--we didn't realise then--but they were happy days--the 40's-50's and 60's--I'm still a "brummie"  at heart--but very glad I dont live in "the Brook" any more.

Have a good day where ever you are ;D

Cheers Ann Marie

daverock

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »
Hi
only just seen this thread, I remember very well & his wife, they lived in Studley Street & Ernie used to supply my Moms cafe with veg.
He used to push his barrow from the market to Studley Street every day with fresh stuff, he was one of the many characters in the "Lane" &  its surrounding area.
Moms cafe was Mays on the corner of Tillingham Street & Ladypool Road.
Cheers
Dave

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »
Same here I remember Ernie well he used to use our local in the 70's and still flog a bit of fruit a veg on the side even though he no longer had his barrow. I remember him getting his nose fixed after years of it being like it was.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
I recall him and his barrow  - had a relative who's family had lived in Studley St since the 19 C until they were bombed out - they'd known him since was a baby
Integrity is non negotiable

Trev moore

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:52:04 PM »
Only just joined and came across this post,my grandad was Ernie guest and nan Irene guest (everybody called her madge) looking to hear stories about him as I was born in 73 moved to staffs in 76 and unfortunately Ernie passed away in 1981

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy