Author Topic: Moseley Grammar  (Read 22597 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Moseley Grammar
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
Achievement and standardsGrade: 3
Grade for sixth form: 3
Students' attainment is below average when they enter the school in Year 7 and remains below average at the end of Key Stages 3 and 4, and the sixth form. This represents satisfactory achievement in the main school and the sixth form.
Standards at GCSE reached an all-time peak in 2007 with 48% of students gaining five or more grades at grade C or above. Results were particularly good in ICT and art with 100% and 95% of students respectively obtaining grades A* to C. Geography and Urdu also did well, but results in the core subjects of English, mathematics and science were well below average. The results of the modular exams already taken in mathematics and science by the current Year 11 are encouraging. The majority of students in the targeted 'study plus' group in mathematics are making outstanding progress.
National test results at the end of Year 9 also improved in 2007 but remained below average. The school's own tracking data on individual students in English, mathematics and science shows that Year 9 are now making better progress in these subjects than in previous years.
Students who are at the early stages of learning English as an additional language and those with learning difficulties and/or disabilities make satisfactory progress. The school has set appropriately challenging targets for performance this year and students are making satisfactory progress towards them. However, the once a term cycle of assessments and review is insufficient to identify underachievement at an early stage by middle leaders. Provision for the large number of students needing support with literacy skills has improved recently but the legacy of weaknesses in handling English text continues to suppress standards and achievement.
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

trapio

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:21:43 AM »
It's teaching is clearly quite poor now - 50 odd years ago as a grammar school its standards were much higher - it didn't have to be King Edward's to be good, it just wasn't that popular in our end of BH
Integrity is non negotiable

planetmalc

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
Thanks for that, Roy; very interesting.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Wulfhere

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 02:24:26 AM »
Moseley Grammar and the adjacent Moseley Secondary Modern were amalgamated in 1974 to form Moseley School. The combined establishment retained the good reputations of both its predecessors, and was still heavily over-subscribed each year until the 1980s, when the real change came, and that change was all about demographics. A glance at its Wikipedia article should reveal all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moseley_School

Moseley School: A Language College (incorporating Spring Hill College) is a large comprehensive school in the Moseley area of Birmingham, England. It has a predominantly male, Muslim student population. 86% of its students are Asian, with substantial numbers from Urdu and Arabic speaking backgrounds, and the school has a formal teaching partnership with the Hamza Mosque and Islamic Centre. Once dubbed, by the Daily Mirror, the most dilapidated school in the country, the older part of the school, Spring Hill College (built in the 1850s), was fully restored and refurbished in 1998. The school made headlines again in 2009 when its only Jewish girl was attacked by 15 or more fellow pupils shouting "kill all Jews", and one of its teachers, Jane Turner, was convicted of a race crime for calling a child "white trash". The school's main entrance is situated on College Road (B4217), near the Stratford Road (A34) junction between Wake Green and Sparkhill. It lies in the parish of St Christopher, Springfield.

john2000

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »
It's teaching is clearly quite poor now - 50 odd years ago as a grammar school its standards were much higher - it didn't have to be King Edward's to be good, it just wasn't that popular in our end of BH

I remember when I was living in BH, King Edwards school, was a place that was so good, it seemed that if you passed or even went there, you could have a seat next to god, later I was asked if I would like to go there, ( yes, me ), but I said no, "idiot", a place was offered and I did'nt take it, .. but that was when I was working for the Birmingham youth service, and I had the chance.. "if only ". but we all know them words. ..J2 :-[
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Gee Gee

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 06:28:52 PM »
I used to watch the kids as they made thier way to school at King Edwaeds,Camp hill.
I would stand in complete bewilderment.
They all had shoes and socks on thier feet.
And none of them seemed to play truant. O0

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
And none of them seemed to play truant. O0

GG, the kids at KES, Camphill weren't angels. My brother and his friends were manufacturing LSD in the science labs there.

Gee Gee

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
Anne
Us young scallywags.rascals and impish youths would steel the caps from the head of the grammer school boys and play pass the cap.They (the grammer school boys) would carry these funny looking shopping bags.I think they were called satchells. O0

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »
the grammer school boys) would carry these funny looking shopping bags.I think they were called satchells. O0

Swanshurst Grammar made us use satchels too. We were not allowed to use a briefcase.

So what did you guys carry your books and stuff in? My youngest bro, who went to Selly Oak Secondary Modern, carried a satchel too.

Gee Gee

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
Anne,
What is school books.?

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 08:05:17 PM »
Silly goose.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy