Author Topic: Moseley Grammar  (Read 22605 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Moseley Grammar
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
How can Moseley Grammar go from being one of the best schools in Birmingham to one of the worst in so short a time after being downgraded to an ordinary comprehensive school. The Latest rating by ofsted lists it as "Inadequate". Does it show there is something wrong with our education system or is it just in Birmingham?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

Re: Moseley Grammar
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
Phil, going off on a tangent a bit, but what about Swanshurst Grammar? I believe it opened in the mid-fifties sometime and it doesn't exist at all now, as far as I know. (I think it is some kind of school though.)

I  hated school with a passion, but Swanshurst Grammar provided us with a very good classical education, though I didn't appreciate it at the time. The headmistress and her staff were so proud of our school. It's a shame that such a good school did not last even 50 years.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
Anne

You must forgive me but I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about Swanshurst Grammar. I know something in the back of my mind tells me that there were two schools in the area I know the one opposite the Billesley Arms on the traffic island on Brook Lane was Swanshurst Girls School, so perhaps the other one was the College and when they did away with the colleges and brought in Comprehensive education perhaps it was amalgamated with the girls school.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
Phil, there were two schools where you describe. Swanshurst Grammar and Swanshurst Secondary Modern. A very awkward juxtaposition of the two schools. The secondary mod girls resented us grammar bugs and, I guess, we felt superior to them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:59:44 PM »
Then I'm pretty sure they amalgamated when the Secondary Modern & Grammar School system was replaced by the Comprehensive system. I know I went there with my daughter and her husband to take a look when one of my oldest granddaughters was moving up to the higher school.

I'm very glad to say that they decided it was not for the granddaughter. She got a place in a school in Solihull in the end as she lives very near the Birmingham / Solihull boundary and also it was helped by the fact that my daughter went to the same school.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 01:37:09 AM »
As an ex-moseley school student I can tell you all about why it was rubbish.

planetmalc

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
Well, go on then.     
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
planetmalc

I think Bruce due to his age may be talking about Moseley Grammar after it was downgraded to a comprehensive school. I can also vouch just how bad it was from a 30 minute visit there. This is what I was commenting on in my earlier post.

How can they let one of Birmingham's best schools become one of its worst in so few short year. I think that it is a disgrace that so wonderful a building is being used by those who have no interest in the education system. I'm not talking about the pupils because pupils are all the same. It's the fault of the teaching staff, who have no idea how to handle them.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »

Moseley was not a very popular 11+ choice at Clifton in the early 50s
Integrity is non negotiable

planetmalc

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
Phil, I know the school isn't a patch on what it used to be (that's what you get when you abandon academic streaming), but what's been written here makes it sound like a poor example of the AVERAGE school.       Is this the case and is it all down to the teachers?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »
planetmalc

I don't think that at the moment it can be classed as average or even a poor example of average. Ofstead classes it as inadequate and I think that refers to the standard of teaching.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy