Author Topic: Moseley Grammar  (Read 22589 times)

Scipio

Re: Moseley Grammar
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 09:50:33 PM »

I went to Moseley Grammer and I am now a teacher with 30 years in the classroom. Believe me most of the teachers that taught me would fail utterly in a modern classroom!

Hi De Hi I doubt that very much they had the cane way back then and were not often reported as suffering with stress because of pupils. When I was at school we had a gym teacher who said to one of the so called hard nuts of the class if you fancy a knock let me know let me know and we'll get the gloves on , they weren't frightened of schoolkids in those days , throwing board rubbers , chalk, boys pulled out of their seats by their sideboards . Bending over and slices being taken of your backside with a 12" rule was commonplace then it taught us respect , teachers nowadays don't know they're born no wonder the kids are running riot. One thing for sure if I had my time over again I'd go back to my original schooldays no problem . The only reason in my eyes why the old teachers wouldn't get on today is because of what they can't do to bring kids up correctly.

If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »

Hi De Hi I doubt that very much they had the cane way back then and were not often reported as suffering with stress because of pupils. When I was at school we had a gym teacher who said to one of the so called hard nuts of the class if you fancy a knock let me know let me know and we'll get the gloves on , they weren't frightened of schoolkids in those days , throwing board rubbers , chalk, boys pulled out of their seats by their sideboards . Bending over and slices being taken of your backside with a 12" rule was commonplace then it taught us respect , teachers nowadays don't know they're born no wonder the kids are running riot. One thing for sure if I had my time over again I'd go back to my original schooldays no problem . The only reason in my eyes why the old teachers wouldn't get on today is because of what they can't do to bring kids up correctly.

I couldn't agree more Scipio.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

frederick

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
Scipio,
One of our teachers would say to the the hard nuts in class. I will see you after school in the play ground. There was never anyone waiting for him, he was a little Welsh guy he also took P E.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 12:45:28 PM »
Fred

Are you talking about Mr Jones, who also did the Duke of Edinburgh award Scheme. I had him in class 3.1 and I thought he was one of the best teachers in the school. Even if I did have the cane off him more than any other teacher. At least he did it correctly and was the only one who recorded it in the punishment book from the headmasters office.

This is him on a photo that I picked up from somewhere all I know is that it's at the top of Clifton Road and I think that his old van that he is walking past.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
Phil,
That's the one.   O0   He came with us to the I.O.Man and we all had a great time. I did play him up friendly like and he and Mr Right picked me up and put me head first into one of the rubbish bins at the holiday camp.   Lol.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2019, 07:27:38 AM »
Phil, going off on a tangent a bit, but what about Swanshurst Grammar? I believe it opened in the mid-fifties sometime and it doesn't exist at all now, as far as I know. (I think it is some kind of school though.)

I  hated school with a passion, but Swanshurst Grammar provided us with a very good classical education, though I didn't appreciate it at the time. The headmistress and her staff were so proud of our school. It's a shame that such a good school did not last even 50 years.

Swanshurt Grammer was one of two schools on the same site. The other being Swanshurst Bilateral.  Back in the 70s they were amalgamated into Swanshurst Comp.  It is still there and is the largest single sex school in Europe.

frederick

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »
When I started work it was at the Serck and a branch of it backed onto Moseley Grammar schools playing fields, it was at the top of Springfield rd on the right.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
When I started work it was at the Serck and a branch of it backed onto Moseley Grammar schools playing fields, it was at the top of Springfield rd on the right.

Are you sure. I don't recall any factories adjacent to the school.  One side was Wake Green Road. Then it was woodland (now housing) the other side was Moseley Modern and finally housing on College road.  However my brother went to Yardley school (formerly Yardley Grammar) and I think the Serck shared a boundary with their sports field.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »
Hi De Hi

Fred is correct there was a radiator factory adjacent to the school tucked out of sight behind the housing on Springfield Road. Perhaps it was less noticeable from the school because of the allotments between the sports field and the factory. I'm pretty sure that the area is a small housing estate now off Springfield Road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »
Phil,
That's the place Serck radiator repair also the fancy radiator grills and bumpers were repaired there. The first car I owned at 15 was kept on the car park there and I would drive it round the car park bought it for £1 sold it form £5    O0

Hi De Hi

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »
Hi De Hi

Fred is correct there was a radiator factory adjacent to the school tucked out of sight behind the housing on Springfield Road. Perhaps it was less noticeable from the school because of the allotments between the sports field and the factory. I'm pretty sure that the area is a small housing estate now off Springfield Road.

Looking at your map and comparing it to a modern map the factory was not next to the school field. There was a considerable wooded area between the two.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy