Author Topic: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches  (Read 8839 times)

Jacqueline

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1204
Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
Which way do most brummies swing with bacon? Watching corrie the lancashire folk put butter on their bacon sarnies but do us brummies do the same. ???
 
I tend to spread my bread with ketchup but how do you eat yours. ;D
 
Another thought is cheese on toast. Do you have it straight or with mustard or worcester sauce.

Phil

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 27777
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
I always thought that butter on the bread for a fried sandwich was a London idea. The first time I ever came across it was when I was down in London and I used to get some strange looks in the café's down there when I insisted that mine was made without it.
 
The first time I came across it in Birmingham was in a greasy spoon near the Dudley Rd end of Icknield Port Rd. I wondered why the café was nearly empty at breakfast time. I have noted that over the last 20 or 30 years that more and more café's seem to serve their sandwiches that way now.
 
As for cheese on toast plenty of cheese with a little thinly sliced tomato and plenty of salt on top will do for me.
 
Phil
Make Love Not War

chas35

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6605
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
Definitely no butter but if feeling a little naughty dip bread in bacon fat and put brown sauce on and it has to be on white bread.
 
Cheese on toast same as you Phil with some pepper as well - no butter here either.

blane

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 591
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »
Hi All  -  What have they done to our bacon ?,what is that white stuff that oozes out when you fry it ?. I have to boil it first to get rid of the white ooze,wipe dry,then fry it to make it look nice.Read the ingredients label on my last purchase and read it contained 85% pork,what is the other 15%.I've really gone off bacon now and changed to sausages instead.

Phil

  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 27777
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:54:49 PM »
Blane
 
All meat is soaked for 24 hours in water before freezing so the extra 15% is probably water. The white sludge is a result of wet curing. Try dry cured bacon you'll see the difference.
 
Phil
Make Love Not War

Anne from Stirchley

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3680
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 09:16:50 PM »
Which way do most brummies swing with bacon?
 
Another thought is cheese on toast. Do you have it straight or with mustard or worcester sauce.

Hi Jackie!
 
Don't eat bacon sambies 'cos I don't eat meat.
 
We have grilled cheese sambies over here. I think we eat them just plain, nuffink on top.
 
Do Brits eat club sandwiches? (Sort of stacked sambies.) I do love those, but the best ones are in NYC.

trapio

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 39400
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
Although I have bacon in a real (4 tier) club sandwich perhaps once a year, I've steered clear of all ''artery liners'' most of the time in the last 30 years.

I can, and do, make good semi-crisp fried bread every once in a while....a change is as good as a rest O0
Integrity is non negotiable

chas35

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6605
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
Hi Trapio, only have bacon butties as a treat also sausage sarnies as a very rare treat. Funny how we describe something that is not that good for you as a treat  :-\

blane

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 591
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
My favourite sandwich is a Triple Decker,Black Country style.Three thick slices of crusty bread,Layer of bacon on the first,topped with a second slice dipped in the bacon liquor,a fried egg placed on this covered in HP Sauce and the third slice on top.This used to keep me going all day.

chas35

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6605
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »
Blane that would keep me going for a week  :P

Steve

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 12063
Re: Bacon Butties or Sandwiches
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
My Bro in Law would do a triple decker, daily, with sausage, bacon, & egg, each layer topped with baked beans. It was a good job his dog liked eating beans. ;D
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.