Author Topic: Runcorn Road  (Read 9174 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Runcorn Road
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 06:59:03 PM »
hi bruce
              welcome to the forum
ladypool road   well i can remember that in the late 40  the place was alive no empty shops no supermarkets you could buy anything from a tin of peas to a motorbike each day was like Saturday Wednesday was half day closing and sunday all shops was closed  it had a cinema that had a Chang of films twice aweek  it had heart but  the rot set in in the mid to late 50 why that was I'm not sure

but i can tell you one thing it was a good place to live and growe up at the top of ladypool road you even had a park  may be it  was becoming bed sit land
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 07:16:08 PM »
Bruce,

The same happened on Stratford Rd Sparkbrook, as what happened on the Ladypool Rd. The planners pulled all the houses down around it. A little further up the Stratford Rd in Sparkhill because they left the housing alone up there it never suffered the same fate as Sparkbrook and the shopping area was never blighted.

As for the Somali area of Stratford Rd that is where my fathers family came from, my uncle lived there all his life until he was nearly 70 and planned to end his days there, but the Somali's brought so much trouble with them with inter tribal fighting every night that he had to give up and move to Wythall. Even the police couldn't do anything, that's why the Old Victoria pub was converted to a police station because they were spending so much time there.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
Phil, thanks for the map. Is that area anywhere near Highgate? That's where my late father grew up I think. Is there such a place as Highgate?

Highgate is an area near Digbeth, you will see on the map that Phil posted Mosley Rd, its about 1,1/2 mile walk, up the page, ( to the centre of Brum,J2

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Bruce

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 12:13:04 AM »

As for the Somali area of Stratford Rd that is where my fathers family came from, my uncle lived there all his life until he was nearly 70 and planned to end his days there, but the Somali's brought so much trouble with them with inter tribal fighting every night that he had to give up and move to Wythall. Even the police couldn't do anything, that's why the Old Victoria pub was converted to a police station because they were spending so much time there.

Phil

A school friend of mine runs the "codfather" chip shop and told me about some of those troubles. I didn't quite believe him about how bad it was because I never saw any fisticuffs myself. His family expanded their business and setup the "alfanoos" cafe/restaurant on the corner across from vale onslow. Its a pretty nice looking place, and only made possible by the increase in people around there.

Oh, I should say im sorry to hear that about your father. Im also sure that i mustve bumped into him at some point because I grew up right there. Wythall's going to be a big change!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »
Bruce

I doubt you would have known my father as he moved out of the area in the 60's. It was my uncle who remained there until he was forced out. He never had a problem with the Irish immigrants in the 50's, the Jamaican immigrants in the 60's or the Asian's. The problems started with the Somalis. There used to be problems every night with fighting in the street. The police wouldn't even come out when called.

He does find where he is now in Wythall strange, and took a while to settle down, but he says he can sleep safely in his bed a night, and that is the main thing.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
I lived in Leamington rd with Ladypool rd at the one end until 1968, Ladypool rd was where we did our shopping i don't recall anything wrong with it. along came the 70s and for some reason the council moved nearly everone out and moved foreign people in i then lost contact with my uncles aunts and cousins they wear moved all over the place  >:( i did keep in contact with my cousin form Runcorn rd but i don't know where he is now if anyone knows of Maurice Inchly please let me know  O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 05:20:21 PM »
The shops you refer to were halfway down Runcorn Road on the right hand side going toward Ladypool Rd.

Phil, thanks for the nice photo. Did those houses build out their attics and add windows at a later date?

the Somali's brought so much trouble with them with inter tribal fighting every night

Interesting. We have all the waves of refugees in my neighborhood. (Currently we have hundreds of Burmese/Thailand.) The Somalis, of whom we had many, have all moved on now, but they were the quietest gentlest people when they lived with us. You guys obviously got the rowdy ones!

frankbck

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »
I know this topic is now quite old, but whenI was  lad of around 15/16 I worked for a bakery firm called Scribbans's and one of the shops we delivered to was a grocers in Runcorn Rd Mosely, the proprieters name was Bill Hacket he ran the shop with his wife, I remember they were both very nice people, they had a son named Robert Im sure.

Hope this is of interest, bestof luck.

Frank

PS I forgot to mention that this was in the late50s

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
Hi frank

It's a long time since we heard from you, there is no time limit on resurrecting old threads so you reminisce all that you want.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ironfighter

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
I grew up in Runcorn Road, in Myrtle avenue to be exact and I remember the four shops very well. The first was Mrs Bull's paper and sweet shop previously Spencer's. There was Baker's greengrocers then a wool shop that sold a few toys and finally Hacket's grocery shop. Mr Hacket was a painter and decorator and he used to do work for local people. There was a real community spirit then and the street had its own pub, The Vic (Victoria). Walkers shop was further up the road by the railway bridge next to Adam's builders yard and I remember the old lady very well, I bought my first packet of ten Gold Leaf there. I remember her son I think, being in a quiz show on TV. In the early seventies the whole community was broken up and the houses re-furbished.

frederick

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 05:13:18 PM »
ironfighter,
Which avenue was Myrtle coming from Ladypool rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy