Author Topic: Streets of the City  (Read 240741 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Streets of the City
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »
We have a thread dedicated to the Bullring, but we have no other thread dedicated to the surrounding streets. I thought I would start one with a few images of the High Street. The first one is the view that I most associate with the High St and that is the junction of High St-Dale End-Bull St- Martineau St- Albert St. with the public underground toilets in the middle of the intersection.

The second photo is one taken I would guess was taken from the Rotunda but as the date given for it being taken is 1962 I think my guess is probably wrong as it wasn't completed until 1965. Anybody like to take a guess as to where it was taken from.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

Re: Streets of the City
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:10:06 AM »
Nice photos Phil I remember it well Photo 1 1954! the cars look later than that the one looks like a Bedford van.
Photo 2 I wonder where that was taken it looks like the Rotunda but I don,t think it was built in 1962.

By the side of Marks & Sparks in the late 1950s there were 3 shops at the Carrs Lane end can anybody remember their names I think the middle one was Dororthy Perkins the one nearest M&S was a posh fur shop (we were always down there repairing the Neon Sign) it was ------and Wells but i,ve been trying to recall the name but cannot maybe someone out there put my mind at rest. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
Dek

It looks as if it was definitely taken from the Rotunda, but it wouldn't have been at that height until at least 1964.  As with a lot of these photo its probably the date that is wrong.

As for the fur shop, I don't remember it myself. Take a look at this photo it you might be able to make out the name it looks like Coru & Wall to me.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
Phil, your second photo in my opinion could be taken from ether a crane or scaffolding around the center core of the construction at that time in 1962?

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »
Pud

Looking at this photo looking in the other direction, the Rotunda is certainly in the right place. I suppose it could have been taken from the superstructure while the building was only half built. It certainly looks as if it might only have been taken from half way up the building. The big top buildings don't look all that far below.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pamela

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 05:05:18 PM »
Phil
Can you or anyone else remember a tunnel under the road in the 40/50s from the CO-OP building on the left of your last picture to the CO-OP building on the right side, before BHS took over on the right side,
Pam

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
Pamela

I remember it well it ran from the basement of the Co op on the one side of the High Street to the new co op store on the other side of the street. They must have bricked it up when they closed the new store down.

Did you know that there is (or was) a maze of tunnels that run from Moor st under all the shops on the High Street. We used them when we were working on stripping the Income Tax Commissioners Dining Rooms out in City Centre House on Union Street.

Phil                             
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

potblack

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:05:27 PM »
Photo no 1.
Am I right in thinking that the shopfront on the right of the Preedy's building was Zissmans - the Gents outfitters?
We got our bootlace ties there in the 1950.s!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:12:30 PM »
Thats right potback and just across the road on the corner of Dale End and Albert St was Nelson House. Cheap cheerful and trendy gear that was a must have on pay night and generally fell apart on the first wash.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pamela

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »

Phil
Thank you for confirming the CO-OP tunnel,I didn't know about any others

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
In fact if we just walk a little further into Dale End, we will be able to see both Zissmans an Nelson House on opposite corners.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy