Author Topic: Streets of the City  (Read 241763 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Streets of the City
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 11:00:52 AM »
A few more views of Dale End,

The first one is the 56 bus stop by The Star Vaults I rode on this bus more times than I care to remember.
The second one is a little further down on the opposite side of the road, somewhere around where they built Priory Circus. The last one is of Baxters Sausages near the end of Dale End. You can just see Padmore's the snooker table manufacturer ahead at the end of Coleshill St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
hi Phil
          the dale end pic was that just round the corner from the stage door coffee bar?  reply 10
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Gee Gee

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
Phill,
       Do you have a photo of James Watt St,? Thats where I joined the Army. I think that there may have been a milk dairy close by. I know that I had  a lot of difficulty hearing the questions. was never sure if I signed up for six years or sixty. I think that there was a bus clock just outside.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 01:38:07 PM »
Roy

New Meeting Street was Just off Albert Street behind The Red Lion and the News Theatre. I have a couple of photos of New Meeting St. The one that shows the Stage Door Café/Club was taken by a Mr Michael Ingram.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »
Gee Gee

If we walked to the end of Dale End and turned left we came to James Watt St which took us uphill to Corporation St. On the corner of Dalton street stood The Army Information Office. I have two views of James Watt st and they both show this building. One in the 1930's and the other in the 1960's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
Phil
     Thank you very much,will now download this photo for inclussion in my autobiography which  I!m busy writing at the moment at the insistence of my five grandsons. No granddaughters just grandsons.

Pamela

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
Phil
Just round the corner from Marks and Spencer's in Carrs Lane was the RAF Recruting Office where I joined the WRAF at the end of 61, I had to go to the Army Recruiting Office for a medical.
Pam

Gee Gee

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 04:04:02 PM »
HI Pamela,
               I notice from your profile that you are way up north in Bonny Scotland. How long did you spend in the WRAF and what lovely postings did you enjoy. Beautiful place Perth and kinross. I used to park my caravan at killin when i went to the race course there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
Hi Pamela,

I cant say I remember the RAF recruiting office when it was in Carrs Lane, I only remember it when it was on the first floor of the building that housed Nelson House at the top of Albert St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
I think the middle one was Dororthy Perkins

Does D.P. still exist? We girls loved it because you could buy all kinds of pretty underwear and nighties there. Sexy stuff, but not Fredericks of Hollywood-style!

Padmore's the snooker table manufacturer

I used to date a guy called Padmore in Brum, wonder if it was his family?

Pamela

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
Phil
Sorry, it must have been Albert Street, I knew it was near M&S.
Thanks for the picture
Pam

Hi Gee Gee
I was in the WRAF for six and a half years, I was stationed in Lincolnashire,East Yorkshire and Buckinghamshire, then I married a Scot, I have been up here 40 years a nice quiet area, I used to go back to Brum each year until 2 years ago when I had to move my mother up here.
Pam

Anne
I think all the D.P shops closed, they were operating in a corner of some of the bigger stores like Rackhams and Debenhams but I am not sure if they still do
Pam

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy