Author Topic: Streets of the City  (Read 241747 times)

jamesm

Re: Streets of the City
« Reply #473 on: July 04, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
Phil, thanks for that info. I didn't realise that there was an established Italian quarter in Birmingham so early. I wonder why they left Italy and what drew them to Birmingham in such large numbers. I can understand the large number of Irish immigrants with the potato famine and everything but Italy?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #474 on: July 04, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
Jamesm

In the early 1800 I believe that Napoleonic Wars combined with famine had a lot to do with it, there were never as many Italians in Birmingham as there were in London, but we still had a few and those that came decided they liked it and stopped.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #475 on: July 04, 2017, 09:56:16 PM »

It is in my opinion that streets of the city means streets of the city centre, not the whole of Birmingham. So jamesm here's another café for you. One that you may not have seen before. The Bodega bar and restaurant in High Street, in 1955.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

jamesm

« Reply #476 on: July 05, 2017, 07:16:09 AM »
Thanks for that Townie. Although I was around in 1955 I wasn't old enough then to be taking an interest in bars except for the Marston Green Tavern to which we walked in the summer with Mom and Dad. ;D

JudithM

« Reply #477 on: July 05, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »
A nice old photo of Cannon Street 1895

You are right.  This is a nice photo of Cannon Street  :)
here is a photo of the start of the A38 Rubery Flyover

Oh joy, I see this view on my way home every day - although usually without the snow  ;D

It's about this point that I make the decision whether or not I've enough time for the next song to start playing on my MP3 player.  If a song isn't just about to end I know I haven't the time to listen to another whole song afterwards.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

townie

« Reply #478 on: July 05, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »
Can we ask members how far Streets of the City thread should cover. According to some the Streets of the City stretch from the Bull Ring to anywhere within Birmingham any ideas? Love to have some feed back.

jamesm

« Reply #479 on: July 05, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »
Townie, I've always thought the "City" was anywhere within the boundaries of the city. The streets around the city centre were always known as the "Town".  I'm happy either way to enjoy the pictures of the City or those of the Town, I think they're great.

townie

« Reply #480 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »

Townie, I've always thought the "City" was anywhere within the boundaries of the city. The streets around the city centre were always known as the "Town".  I'm happy either way to enjoy the pictures of the City or those of the Town, I think they're great.

jamesm that was my thoughts exactly but some people disagree. I agree that all photos of Birmingham are great but belong in there rightful place.   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #481 on: July 05, 2017, 09:27:58 PM »
Jamesm

As you I have always thought of all the streets roads and thoroughfares within the boundary of Birmingham as "streets of the city" and I have always thought of going to the centre of Birmingham as "going up town".

Looking at my library of photos of Birmingham Centre I have 3,516 images of Birmingham City Centre none of which are the Bull Ring, having 568 more of those which means I could put a different image of the city centre up every day for over 10 years, but life for myself and those viewing the thread would get pretty boring if I did. As it was myself that started this thread back in May 2011 I think I know best what I meant for the thread and as I have said there are many photos included on this thread that are not of the City Centre.

So I will continue to post photos that I think will be of interest to members of the forum be they in the city centre or outside it, this one is Harborne High Street in 1908, it certainly looks more sedate than it does today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #482 on: July 05, 2017, 09:57:40 PM »

Well jamesm you have heard it from another member. (So I will continue to post photos that I think will be of interest to members of the forum be they in the city centre or outside it. To me that is an admission of not streets of the city Reply 481. You have just replied outside the Streets of the City. I'm sure there are member who will agree with what I have said and read the posts. Let the members decide. Another thing is if posts are posted in the wrong thread they are either deleted or moved. I would love to know how you work out all streets of Birmingham are branching from the Bull Ring? 

Can you answer this question with the others all the streets roads and thoroughfares within the boundary of Birmingham as "streets of the city"? Tell me what is the boundary? And now that they have moved the boundary to include Solihull does that count as streets of the city?

jamesm

« Reply #483 on: July 06, 2017, 07:49:49 AM »
Jamesm

As it was myself that started this thread back in May 2011 I think I know best what I meant for the thread and as I have said there are many photos included on this thread that are not of the City Centre.

So I will continue to post photos that I think will be of interest to members of the forum be they in the city centre or outside it, this one is Harborne High Street in 1908, it certainly looks more sedate than it does today.
Phil My comment was not meant in any way to be a criticism of this thread merely a an honest reply to Townie's post. As I said I enjoy looking at all the pictures of Birmingham that are posted whatever the thread

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy