Author Topic: Streets of the City  (Read 241782 times)

astoness

Re: Streets of the City
« Reply #583 on: January 05, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
that is fantastic phil.....i also have the 2 photos....just for info its new st to the left of the globe and potters lane to the right of the bartons with high st running up the middle

Scipio

« Reply #584 on: January 05, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »

This is an excellent photo that I picked up on another site that I use. Because I have the two original photos I know it has been expertly made up from two different photos. The left of the image is the Globe picture house and was taken in 1956 and the right of the image the Barton Arms and the Aston Hippodrome was taken in 1952.

Whoever it was that made up this image certainly knew what they were doing because the join is invisible.

Phil if you go up Potters Lane , which is to the right of The Bartons, right up as far as you can see . I used to live up there in the town houses from 1976-96 , great years pity its gone down the drain though .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #585 on: January 06, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »

Phil if you go up Potters Lane , which is to the right of The Bartons, right up as far as you can see . I used to live up there in the town houses from 1976-96 , great years pity its gone down the drain though .

John

So you would have lived quite close to the new Shareholders Arms then. It didn't last that lomg after they built the new one did it?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #586 on: January 06, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »

phil will know this street but do you?
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

townie

« Reply #587 on: January 06, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »
Roy. New Meeting Street off  Moor Street towards High Street.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #588 on: January 06, 2018, 04:30:33 PM »
It reminds me of New Meeting Street where I used to park for the Stage Door Club coffee bar.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #589 on: January 06, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »

hi ian
             your spot on by the way I used the stage door in the 60s

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #590 on: January 06, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
Thanks Roy, it's the only one I've ever got right - you never know, we may have met in some past life.    O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #591 on: January 06, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »

Ian Dalzie]well if you was going in there 1963 to 1964   you would have meet me that's for sure

just a small reminder

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #592 on: January 06, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
That photo takes me back - yes, I used to frequent the Stage Door Club during that period. Also, as New Meeting Street was a cul-de-sac, the police never bothered about the parking (as you can see on the first photo), so it was an excellent place to park as it was so close to the City centre.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #593 on: January 06, 2018, 06:47:47 PM »
That photo takes me back - yes, I used to frequent the Stage Door Club during that period. Also, as New Meeting Street was a cul-de-sac, the police never bothered about the parking (as you can see on the first photo), so it was an excellent place to park as it was so close to the City centre.

Ian, back when the first photo was taken it was still a thoroughfare and open at both ends and I always thought it remained that way until they closed the top end of it in the eighties, back when the first photo was taken there were very few parking restrictions in the city as I remember it.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy