Author Topic: Streets of the City  (Read 90901 times)

Scipio

Re: Streets of the City
« Reply #594 on: January 06, 2018, 09:18:18 PM »

John

So you would have lived quite close to the new Shareholders Arms then. It didn't last that lomg after they built the new one did it?

Phil I think it was the new one I used to drink in among others between 76-96 it was closed before 1996 , originally it was an Ansells
house then late 80's . Pat Brennan working on behalf of Banks' brewery refurbed it got it going and then it closed after a couple of years or so . Pat Brennan just for the record , owned the Aston Tavern , plus he bought the Old Crown in Digbeth so he ain't no fool
when it comes to pubs . Altogether with his brothers and sisters we worked it out once there aws about 21 pubs involved

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #595 on: January 07, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

Ian, back when the first photo was taken it was still a thoroughfare and open at both ends and I always thought it remained that way until they closed the top end of it in the eighties, back when the first photo was taken there were very few parking restrictions in the city as I remember it.

Sorry Phil, I would normally bow to your superior knowledge, and I realise that memories can often be wrong after many years but I am reasonably sure that New Meeting Street was closed at the south end, when I regularly used it from when I learned to drive in 1960. Even though there were not many parking restrictions at that time, it was often difficult to find a space in High Street, New Street or Corporation Street during peak periods so New Meeting Street was a good alternative. I can only ever remember using the Dale End entrance and the other end was probably closed because of clearance for the Queensway.

Also, Roy's first photo shows parked cars almost blocking the street which, even then, would not have been allowed on a through road used by commercial vehicles.
It is often possible to turn a setback to an advantage.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #596 on: January 08, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
Ian

I have to be honest and say that I do not remember when they closed off the bottom end of New Meeting street other than to say I don't think it was as early as you seem to think. In Roys photo which was taken in 1963 it was still open as you can see the pavement kerbs for Moor Street and if you look at the first and third photos I am posting now and compare them you will see that the street was blocked off much higher up.

The second photo was taken a little earlier in 1962 and shows the bottom end of the street from the Everyman cafe looking toward Moor Street.
Make Love Not War

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #597 on: January 08, 2018, 12:16:21 PM »
Hi Phil, my recollection is that if there was no room to park on the way down the street, then we parked in the space at the bottom where the road junction used to be. However, my memory has occasionally failed me in the past so I am willing to admit I may be wrong in this case.
It is often possible to turn a setback to an advantage.

eusabius

« Reply #598 on: April 17, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »

Hi, I'm new here and I'm not sure how things go, but I would like to ask the moderator Phil and member vauxonion about some posts they made on this thread on Aug 24 2011, regarding the street artist who worked in Eden Place in the 1950s and '60s. This man was my paternal Grandfather. I'm 54 now, and due mainly to the fact that my Mother took against him early on (his name was not to be mentioned in the house when I was growing up), I never met him (I was born around the time he died, I believe) and have never seen a photo of him. My parents have recently died, and I am now trying to find some information about Grandad.

I only found out that he had worked as a street artist after I started doing the very same thing in my '20s! (I did a degree in Fine Art at university and am an artist). Reincarnation, perhaps :). Strangely enough, the building where I did my art degree is the red Victorian building in Margaret Street at the other end of Eden Place, which is where I'm told Grandad sometimes sat. I could see his spot from my studio window! I also have vague memories of there having been  a feature on him in the Birmingham Evening Mail (The Post, possibly?) sometime in the 1970s. Apparently it was a page featuring letters from people who remembered seeing him in the 50s & '60s and also featured an image - either a painting or a photo of him sitting in Eden Place with some of his paintings around him.
If either of you could tell me anything else about him, or know of any one else who might know something, I would be very grateful. He has been shrouded in mystery, and I would like very much to bring him out of the shadows. Thanks.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: April 17, 2018, 01:50:30 PM »
Hi Eusabuis

Welcome to the forum,

I'm afraid vauxonian is no longer with us, I don't think I can answer any further question about your grandfather other than I used to see him a lot as a youngster and he seemed to have disappeared sometime at the end of the 60's. Did I post this photo back with the original posts or have I come across it since 2011. If I didn't I'm posting it again with the comment that I have a suspicion that this is not the original person that I used to pass by on occasion. Though you might be able to confirm if it's your grandfather.
Make Love Not War

eusabius

« Reply #600 on: April 17, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »
Hi Phil. Thanks for your reply, and for posting the photo. I don't think you posted it in the original post. Frustratingly, I can't say whether it's my grandfather or not, as I have no idea what he looked like. Could I ask you where you got the photo from? I'm wondering whether it would be possible to get a higher-resolution copy. Are you sure it's Eden Place?

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #601 on: April 17, 2018, 05:37:06 PM »
Eusabius

I can confirm that the location of the photo is Eden Place, the attached photo is the location today. I'm sorry but I am unable to confirm where I in fact found the photo, it was quite possible it was from a newspaper article but I don't keep a record of my sources although I keep saying that I should start doing just that.

If you make a few fore posts to the forum (5 in all) then the private messaging facility will become available to you. If you then send me a private message with an email address I will see if I can furnish you with a higher resolution copy of the photo.
Make Love Not War

eusabius

« Reply #602 on: April 17, 2018, 05:43:40 PM »
Thanks Phil. So this reply constitutes 1 post...?

eusabius

« Reply #603 on: April 17, 2018, 06:13:01 PM »
Thanks, by the way, for going to the trouble of taking that photo for me....

eusabius

« Reply #604 on: April 17, 2018, 06:13:56 PM »
It's much appreciated :).

Eusabius