Author Topic: Streets of the City  (Read 240624 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Streets of the City
« Reply #616 on: January 24, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
Acocks Green Village in the year 1908, a very different village to that of today even if a couple of the buildings are still with us.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #617 on: January 28, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »
Acocks Green Village in the year 1908, a very different village to that of today even if a couple of the buildings are still with us.
Hard to think of it as a village now.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #618 on: January 28, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
Although this old postcard is only marked Alcester Road and has no further information, I'm pretty sure that it is the part of the road now known as Alcester Road South. I also think the pub is the pre 1911 version of the Kings Arms (the [censored]), now for some reason re-named The Crown.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2019, 01:06:02 PM »
Hard to think of it as a village now.

Judith,

Nevertheless that's still what most of the long time resident locals call it, my wife who lived most of her young life in Olton on the border of Acocks Green has only ever known it as the Village and still calls it that today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2019, 01:08:23 PM »

Judith,

Nevertheless that's still what most of the long time resident locals call it, my wife who lived most of her young life in Olton on the border of Acocks Green has only ever known it as the Village and still calls it that today.
I was born in Olton  :)

It's the same with Solihull, a lot of the old residents call it The Village still.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #621 on: January 29, 2019, 02:56:05 PM »
Collingwood Drive Pheasey Estate Great Barr, look like the terminus for the 29a Bus from Baldwins Lane Hall Green. I can't tell you a great deal more than that as once again I am out of my comfort zone, as I said before parts of north Birmingham are a mystery to me.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #622 on: February 25, 2019, 06:24:40 PM »
Broad Street, before it became the entertainment centre of Birmingham. I'm not that sure it is better now, there was certainly less trouble back then, but that's one of the penalties of progress I suppose.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

astoness

« Reply #623 on: February 25, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »
nice photo phil...is that st peters church on the right

lyn

townie

« Reply #624 on: February 25, 2019, 06:58:15 PM »
Broad Street, before it became the entertainment centre of Birmingham. I'm not that sure it is better now, there was certainly less trouble back then, but that's one of the penalties of progress I suppose.

So your saying progress and building for the future are penalties ?  ::)    Cant wait until the Bull Ring settles down and Grand Central what are we expected to see then?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #625 on: February 25, 2019, 11:27:54 PM »
Lyn

I believe that is the Church of the Messiah, St Peters was off Broad Street between St Peters Place and St Martins Place it was much smaller, see attached photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #626 on: February 26, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »
What year is this?

I see that the Church of the Messiah was demolished in 1978. It seems odd seeing it amongst buildings I am familiar with.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy