Author Topic: Streets of the City  (Read 240659 times)

RoyMcC

Re: Streets of the City
« Reply #759 on: September 11, 2019, 10:56:52 PM »
The Beehive! Jasper Carrot worked there as a trainee buyer. Did a sketch about it.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #760 on: September 16, 2019, 02:55:05 PM »
This image is tagged as Melvina Road Nechells in 1952, the problem being Melvina Road did not exist in 1952 and at that time this section of road was still part of Great Francis Street. Though it doesn't look like it has much longer to go before it disappears.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #761 on: September 17, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
This image is tagged as Melvina Road Nechells in 1952, the problem being Melvina Road did not exist in 1952 and at that time this section of road was still part of Great Francis Street. Though it doesn't look like it has much longer to go before it disappears.
Looks like something big is either being built or restored on the right - a lot of scaffolding.  Is the chimney related to what looks like factory units in the background, or is it closer to the houses/shops?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #762 on: September 17, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »
Judith

I believe that the scaffolding you see is around what was is South Tower when being built, one of a group of 4 brick built multi storey flats and the chimney stack is on the other side of the railway track and was part of the Midland Counties Dairy at the bottom of Cato Street, or it could be even further back than it looks and is beyond Devon Street and is part of Nechells Gas Works.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #763 on: September 18, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
Judith

I believe that the scaffolding you see is around what was is South Tower when being built, one of a group of 4 brick built multi storey flats and the chimney stack is on the other side of the railway track and was part of the Midland Counties Dairy at the bottom of Cato Street, or it could be even further back than it looks and is beyond Devon Street and is part of Nechells Gas Works.

Thanks for the info.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #764 on: September 21, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
New Meeting Street that ran from Moor Street to High Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #765 on: September 22, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »
I used to park there for the Stage Door Club coffee bar which was up on the left.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Scipio

« Reply #766 on: September 22, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »
I used to park there for the Stage Door Club coffee bar which was up on the left.

Ian were you what they called a stage door Johnny , waiting with flowers in hand  for one of the starlets to come out ? Ha Ha
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #767 on: September 23, 2019, 01:35:57 PM »

Ian were you what they called a stage door Johnny , waiting with flowers in hand  for one of the starlets to come out ? Ha Ha

I used to meet my girlfriend in there - does that make me a 'stage door Johnny'?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #768 on: September 24, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
I've always been at a loss why the cafe was called the "Stage Door" as the only theatre in the vicinity was the News Theatre on the High Street. I don't think they ever had live acts there did they?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #769 on: September 24, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »
I've always been at a loss why the cafe was called the "Stage Door" as the only theatre in the vicinity was the News Theatre on the High Street. I don't think they ever had live acts there did they?

I think they were trying to attract students, especially on the arts side. My then girlfriend was a member of the Crescent Theatre and they used to go there after rehearsals.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy