Author Topic: Havelock Road, Alum Rock  (Read 5637 times)

spooky

Havelock Road, Alum Rock
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
Hello all and thank you for an amazing few hours scrolling through the photos and memories of Alum Rock, Saltley, Nechells.  I spent a lot of my early years with my grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. Gething, in Havelock Road (117 to be exact) and have very fond memories of Mrs. Brookes' sweet shop where she would come through from her back living room into the small shop and weigh the sweets out of the glass jars onto the old fashioned scales with the weights.  Happy days!

My grandparents house was opposite Mr. & Mrs. Perks Barbers Shop.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this end of Havelock Road?  I can even remember a lot of the neighbours although I am going back over 50 years!!!  Mrs Dunn lived at 115, Mrs. Hindley lived at 113, a girl called Geraldine lived at 111 and Mrs. Biers lived at 109 next to the gulley leading to the backgardens. 

Originally my grandparents lived in the back-to-back houses through a gulley from Wright Road.  Does anyone remember a family called Pearcewright (my gran's family)?  I cannot find them on any of the census papers but I have other information that definately says they lived in Nechells/Duddeston area.  The Bourne part of my family also came from there but they too are missing from any census.

Look forward to any of your memories and photos if there are any.

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Havelock Road, Alum Rock
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »
ho spooky
                welcome to the forum    i think our phil is the man with the photos he might just come up with the goods for you so welcome have fun and let other members get a chance to know you  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
Hi Spooky

Welcome to our little family, I used to have some relations (well sort of relations) who lived in Havelock Rd my step fathers sister moved there with her husband when she got married. Her name was Jenny sorry I didn't know her married name or her husbands name.

Here are the only two photos of Havelock Rd that I have.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

spooky

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Phil and for the photos.  These must have been taken at the Washwood Heath Road end of Havelock Road as I don't recall any front gardens at my gran's end towards Highfield Road.  All the houses had the coal hole underneath the front window.  Actually the last time I went to see the house 117 and 119 were boarded up.  Mind you that was about 12 years ago.  Is St. Saviours Churchyard still open to the public?

mikejee

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:50:13 PM »
The Havelock tavern was no 28 and dixons, on the second photo was back of 74/76. so the house in the other picture was on the same side of the road as the tavern, but about 23 houses up, before you get to Wright Road

gibson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
Hi Spooky, You asked in your last post, if St Saviours Church yard was still open to the public, I hope that I am in right in saying, that yes it is still open, and the church, and the grounds, have had a face lift in recent years.

KEITH DALLOW

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »
hi spooky
just looked at the havelock road story back in the sixtes i knew a milkman who lived in havelock road his name was george lomas and his wife also remember the horse and cart co-op milkman i delivered in bennetts road and all round chartist rd.
keith.

Manasseh

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:26 PM »
Hi, I was born in Havelock Road, number 171, It is the highfield road side. If anyone has any pictures that would be great. I was born there in 1976 and I remember Mr Rowlands, I still have family live that way. Does anyone remember Elaine Lucas?

suemalings

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:02:11 AM »
Does anyone remember the Betting Office in Havelock Road, or the family who lived at the back and above the shop?

timeless

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:30:38 AM »
hi spooky that shop still stands on havelock road next to the alleyway leading to alumrock road , was it the one across havelock tavern?

mmh

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
Hello all and thank you for an amazing few hours scrolling through the photos and memories of Alum Rock, Saltley, Nechells.  I spent a lot of my early years with my grandparents, Mr. & Mrs. Gething, in Havelock Road (117 to be exact) and have very fond memories of Mrs. Brookes' sweet shop where she would come through from her back living room into the small shop and weigh the sweets out of the glass jars onto the old fashioned scales with the weights.  Happy days!

My grandparents house was opposite Mr. & Mrs. Perks Barbers Shop.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this end of Havelock Road?  I can even remember a lot of the neighbours although I am going back over 50 years!!!  Mrs Dunn lived at 115, Mrs. Hindley lived at 113, a girl called Geraldine lived at 111 and Mrs. Biers lived at 109 next to the gulley leading to the backgardens. 

Originally my grandparents lived in the back-to-back houses through a gulley from Wright Road.  Does anyone remember a family called Pearcewright (my gran's family)?  I cannot find them on any of the census papers but I have other information that definately says they lived in Nechells/Duddeston area.  The Bourne part of my family also came from there but they too are missing from any census.

Look forward to any of your memories and photos if there are any.

==

just seen this text

I think a Mr & Mrs [size=78%]Pearcewright lived at 92 Wright Rd B8 1PP prior to 1988.   I purchased the house and I recall receiving mail in their name.  Some pension company.  [/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]The house was sold by their children as far as i know.[/size]
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=78%]Not sure if this will be helpful[/size]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy