Author Topic: church hill, northfield  (Read 13319 times)

Anne from Stirchley

Re: church hill, northfield
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
He's not, he's originally from Liverpool!

My mother was born and lived in Scotland Road until she met my father and moved to Brum.

pickard.r

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
Bobby

No all you get is a log on screen, and I refuse to enrol and endorse facebook.

Phil

To be honest I only joined after being coerced by my god daughters, but it has been a good way of finding old friends & family, in fact I was recently contacted by an old friend  who emigrated to Canada in the mid 70's..Anyway back to the photo's, I will try and download some of the more interesting one's (as long as i'm not breaking copyright rules) & forward them on

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

pickard.r

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
I'm sure the new Bull Ring will lasts longer than the 60/70 version did

I'm not so sure about that, I was in the City just before Christmas & was surprised to see how the cladding around some of the new buildings was dirty & cracking, also the "stainless" steel wall surrounding Selfridges was filthy & rusting, plus, the pavement in certain areas has already started to become uneven and replaced with the usual cheap alternative blackstuff.

Bobby

pickard.r

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »
Phil
The implication from what I have read is that the stone was deposited at that spot by glacial movements in the ice age from Wales,and was there until moved to the pound. Certainly I would have thought that the facilities available at the time the inn was built would noy have encouraged people to move it unless they had to. the present Inn is c 1500, but there was one there before.

Maybe he was pulling my leg a bit but I remember being told by my Dad that the stone was the actual one that covered the entrance to the cave where Jesus was laid to rest & was bought over by the Knights Templar. I don't think I ever believed the story even at the age of 7 or 8 but it sounded much more interesting than Welsh glaciers

Bobby

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 08:14:29 AM »
Bobby

Richard the Lionheart brought it back in his saddlebag.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »
Phil
Richard woulld have been far too grand to have had his own saddlebags. It would have been in his courtiers' (in effect slaves) saddlebags
mike

jaytaylor1982

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
it must have been one 'ell of a saddlebag to bring that back. I really like that story bobby, just hope i dont get into too much trouble when i start telling the locals the 'real' story of the stone after a few guinness' when i'm up there on friday night!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »
Here a few more photos of Church Rd and Church Hill I have sorted out. I think you will recognise them except perhaps for the Rectory that was on the corner of Church Hill & Rectory rd until it was demolished in 1935.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »
Here are the rest

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jaytaylor1982

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
thank you very much phil.

these pic's again are fantastic off you.
Church hill has changed so much. There are tree's in the picture where my house now stands.

Does anyone know anything about the detached house on the left. I have seen this building on a few old pics of church hill and was wondering when and why it had been knocked down?

Brilliant, thank you phil.

james taylor

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
his courtiers (in effect slaves)

Courtiers were not slaves. A courtier was anyone in attendance at the court of a king or other royal personage. A courier could be a nobleman or woman or anyone with a trade. Secretaries, carpenters, dressmakers, etc. Being a courtier, one had the potential of having a very lucrative stepping stone to better things. Courtiers were quickly promoted and, really, the sky was the limit for someone of ambition. The court was frequently the center of government, as well as being the royal residence, so opportunities were in abundance.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy