Author Topic: church hill, northfield  (Read 13362 times)

mikejee

Re: church hill, northfield
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »
Anne
I did say "in effect"

julie B

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
I had a cousin who lived on church Hill, who still lives there now and I used to walk up church hill with my mum every day to attend both the infant and junior school of St Lawrence's we had a really lovely teacher called Mrs. Harvey who all the children adored.  The toilets were outside and froze over in winter so we got plenty of time off if the weather was really bad.
J

kay

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »
thank you phil, these pictures are great.
do you or anyone else know why the stone was outside the pub and not in the pound as it is today?

kay

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »
 my great uncle was a coal merchant on old moat drive was wondering if there are any photos of the cottages from that time behind st Laurence church it was then called old moat buildings in 1923 sadly he was murdered walking home along hole lane thank you xx

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »
Hi Kay

Welcome to the forum, sorry but I can't help with a photo of Old Moat Buildings, but I'll have a look around and see what I can come up with.

In answer to the question from back in 2011, The Great Stone like most of these types of rocks was a glacial boulder deposited by a glacier back in pre history. So it was probably in the locality when the Inn was built and the stone was utilised as a mounting block by horse riders.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Avsie

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2021, 06:12:29 PM »
Hi James

Welcome to our forum,

How far are you going back for this fruit & veg shop, because all I can find is Walter Smith Grocer at 43a Church Hill until 1973 and then next door at 45 appears C.G.Boardman Greengrocer. Would either of them be your shop?

As far as photos go I'm afraid I have only have the one of Church Hill and that is quite old, I have others of Church Lane & Church Rd.

Phil

Hi Phil! I don't know if you are still active on here but if you are I saw this old post of yours and I happen to be specifically looking for photo's of Church Lane, Northfield - I know some old houses used to exist titled for example 2 bk of 19 Church Lane, Church Road, Northfield in the 1911 census. I cannot find any conversation about Church Lane though anywhere but in your post. Do you still have those photo's?

Thanks.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2021, 06:17:06 PM »
hi avsie welcome to the forum   sorry to say phil is no longer with us    R.I,P phil
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Avsie

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2021, 11:54:32 PM »
hi avsie welcome to the forum   sorry to say phil is no longer with us    R.I,P phil

Ah thanks Roy. I had a feeling that might be the case when I looked last time he logged in and out said a year or so ago. RIP Phil :-(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy