Author Topic: Atkin & Sons Saw Company on Barford Street Birmingham mid 1800's  (Read 9550 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Atkin & Sons Saw Company on Barford Street Birmingham mid 1800's
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »
Hi Keith,

The chap in the photo was the one we always dealt with in the 70's and he seemed to be in charge. I got the impression then that they were a much scaled back business than they were when the business was further up Bradford St toward Moseley Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

akwiom

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 09:56:39 AM »
Tungsten carbide tips took a lot of the trad sharpening away, but they were certainly brazing that sort of tip on some large saws in the fifties. Also the modern habit of throw-away handsaws must have almost eradicated that part of the business. Also the cheap and portable electric tools from the mysterious East. My garage is well stocked I'm afraid, so I have gone with the flow myself. Retailing those is firmly in the hands of the major Sheds, leaving little for the small outlets. Keith

LPM

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:44 AM »
I wonder if this might reach someone as it is rather a long time since anything was posted re Atkins Bradford Street. I ventured on to the Birmingham forum today as we are in the 7th week of Corona Virus lockdown, and in spite of having lots of "jobs" to attend to around the home and garden, this is causing a welcome distraction. If you would like to correspond re Atkins, I can fill you in on a lot of it's history and ultimate demise since my Father became managing director of the business when Bill Bailey died. I have photos and some documents that may be of interest. Les

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 11:27:28 AM »
hi and welcome to you   it would be nice to see the photos  and any info you may have   thanks roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Banjo

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
As a child in 1956 I lived with Tom & Ada Newman in Woodfield Rd Balsall Heath and Tom was the driver for Atkins. I don't think the van was ever kept at Atkins overnight though as it was always parked outside the house.

slat4090

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
My Grandfather was the Foreman of Atkins when they sold up in the early 80s. Fred Roach. Does anyone remember him?

Pedrocut

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 03:08:33 PM »
There is an article on the history of Atkin and Sons in the Birmingham Weekly Post of 5 Feb 1960, although Some of the write up is obscured.[/font][/color]

[/font][/color]
Further info for anyone researching the firm…[/font][/color]
Sep 1845 Took over Messrs Hinton and Harris of Great Brooke St.[/font][/color]
June 1844 Took over Messrs W Moss and Son of Cannon St. (They had been established nearly 70 years).[/font][/color]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy