Author Topic: Aston Park  (Read 19023 times)

sh

Aston Park
« on: March 27, 2007, 03:50:58 PM »
On my great grandfather's Census, he is listed as living in an area called, "Aston Park".

He lived on 139 Gerrard Street, and while I've seen photos of those "houses" (his is no longer exsisting), I'm a bit uncertain as to what the differences between Aston Park and just plain Aston are.  Was it a particular neighborhood?

The housing looked more like modern-day condos, kinda.  They were red with white trim.

By the way, the photos are in this web site, thanks to those who helped me.

sh :)

Batman

Re: Aston Park
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »
sh, Aston, is an area similar to Balsall Heath, ( who copied who ? ) but Aston is much older place than Balsall Heath,
Aston Park, had a manor there which was owned my some high gentry, it was independent from Birmingham and only came under Birmingham later, I think it could have gone the other way instead of The City of Birmingham , it could have been The City of Aston. I think it was because of industry that was in B/ham, and not in Aston, but Aston is not my neck of the woods, so I dont know much about the area, only that the people of Aston where/are like the people from most of the areas around B/ham, where every one knew every one and would help out if/when they could, but, with the pulling down all the slums, they created new ones ( like tower blocks) but better homes, only now the problem is the people at say nr; 27 dont know the people who live at nr 28. its now a city of strangers,
There are some people who write to this forum some times who come from Aston.
so maybe they can help you, in what it was like in the old days,
I write of the old days in our city, and what great times we had, but there was also a sad side and a poor side, but our minds only remember the good times.. I think there are people when they where kids  used to sit on the front door step, in out short pants and grubby knees and watch the cars go by and think to themselves, there must be a better life out there some where .... and you know, there was/is. many who left Birmingham did very well for themselves, .. well lets be honest. when your back is against the wall, you can only go one way. and thats forward.......John 2000 ;D
Sex is like air....it's not important unless you are'nt getting any...

Batman

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:03:59 PM »
Who remembers the bread and dripping, the bread and lard, bread and suger.. I bet a lot do, and the ice crean van ringing that bloody bell, ha ...John 2000

sh

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 05:44:47 PM »
sh, Aston, is an area similar to Balsall Heath, ( who copied who ? ) but Aston is much older place than Balsall Heath,
Aston Park, had a manor there which was owned my some high gentry, it was independent from Birmingham and only came under Birmingham later, I think it could have gone the other way instead of The City of Birmingham , it could have been The City of Aston. I think it was because of industry that was in B/ham, and not in Aston, but Aston is not my neck of the woods, so I dont know much about the area, only that the people of Aston where/are like the people from most of the areas around B/ham, where every one knew every one and would help out if/when they could, but, with the pulling down all the slums, they created new ones ( like tower blocks) but better homes, only now the problem is the people at say nr; 27 dont know the people who live at nr 28. its now a city of strangers,
I write of the old days in our city, and what great times we had, but there was also a sad side and a poor side, but our minds only remember the good times.. I think there are people when they where kids  used to sit on the front door step, in out short pants and grubby knees and watch the cars go by and think to themselves, there must be a better life out there some where .... and you know, there was/is. many who left Birmingham did very well for themselves, .. well lets be honest. when your back is against the wall, you can only go one way. and thats forward.......John 2000 ;D

Well, it sounds like the place called Aston Park was built near the manor.  I don't believe it was part of it because in my eyes the housing was modest.  If you would like to, go to the "Search" place and put in "139 Gerrard Street"; you will see the area as the photographer went out and took lots of photos - actaully, for me.  What a wonderful gift that was for me.  I can never repay this gift.

Anyhow, in my family there were those from West Bromwich who were not well to do; I have seen films (British) on how bad it was for poor families, yet somehow at least one child got away and made a decent living.  The scenes showed a small, dark room with a small fireplace and the children waiting for their Mom to give them some "chips" - that was their meal.  Their dad was long gone.  Terrible.  I know many have lived like this and worse; still do.  I think it's inhumane, especially when the churches back then had a lot of money.  Now, churches do help - at least some of them do.

And life can be a living hell for those who have more than us.  I've seen that as well.

Today, people at least have a better chance of a happier life.

Sorry if you went through that.  Were the Dark Ages worse?  Who knows?  They sounded really terrible to me.   I can't imagine the pain and anguish people suffered back then.

My great grandfather, Robert Thomas Ashforth, migrated to the USA in 1881 because he didn't like what was going on in England.  I belive that was after the industrial revolution.  And he was born in Dudley, then moved to Birmingham, then Aston, before coming to the USA.  He was my mother's paternal grandfather.

Today, we have (in the USA) shopping centers go in - brand new and great looking places; they stay for awhile, and then the largest store builds a new larger store somewhere else - and the area goes down.  That sounds much like what you're talking about.  Slums get torn down and new slums appear.  This same thing happens over here on perhaps a different level.  Everyone loses.  Big time.

Thanks so much, sh

sh

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »
Who remembers the bread and dripping, the bread and lard, bread and suger.. I bet a lot do, and the ice crean van ringing that bloody bell, ha ...John 2000
You sound just like my Mom (deceased); this is what she used to say - remembering things of the past.  In my youth I heard, "bloody" all the time.  Bloody well this and bloody well that.  I can still hear Mom going on about something.  She was short, red hair, big blue eyes, and quite a disposition. 

I fondly remember this.  Thanks ,sh

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 07:51:44 PM »
SH
I REMEMBER SITTING ON THE DOORSTEP WITH A STICK OF RHUBARB & SAUCER OR SUGAR TO DIP THE RHUBARB IN WHAT TREAT. OUR SUNDAY NIGHT SUPPER TREAT WAS A BEEF DRIPPING SARNIE LEFT OVER FROM THE THE SUNDAY ROAST. ALSO HOT BUTTERED TOAST. TOASTED ON A FORK OVER AN OPEN FIRE ALSO ENDED UP WITH CHILBLAINS ON OUR TOES FOR SITTING TO CLOSE. THESE ARE A FEW OF  THE THE LITTLE THINGS I MISS. YOU FORGET THE HARD TIMES. ANDY CAPP

sh

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:22 PM »
Andy -

I think that's good.

All of us have bad times in our lives; some of wretched times.

The best thing to do is focus on the good times and let the bad remain history.

I learned that some years back, and sometimes I have to remind myself, but I think I've conquered the beast.

Your remembrances sound dear to the soul.  Such fun.
Thanks for sharing, sh :)

sh

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:19:55 PM »

Now, after again reviewing the photos, I see the name, "Lozells"; what has Lozells to do with Aston in Birmingham.  I'm confused.  So many names; it must be a British way of naming areas within areas or something.

sh

Graham

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 10:55:10 PM »
Hi all!

Thanks to Frederick, my cosine, I have learned that my grand parents (on my mom's side) came from 1/54, Leopold Street, (I think this is in Aston) and that they were married at Saint Gabriel's Church (where ever that is) on the 26th November 1905. Their names were John Sheldon, 1882, and Florence Helen Butler, 1885.

Can anyone confirm that Leopold Street was in Aston, as my mother always said that she was from Nechels. Is Leopold Street on the border line?

Many thanks, Graham.

Batman

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:14:45 AM »
Graham..... Sorry to put a damper on it, but Leopold St, is in Balsall Heath, on the edge of Digbeth, close to Highgate park, the 49 bus used to run up it then up onto the mosley Rd, you could almost see St martins flats .....John 2000

Batman

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 10:09:40 AM »
SH..  I want you to Imagen a large clock face, with 12 O'Clock at the top, now the centre of Birmingham in in the middle of the clock ( where the hands would be ), ok, now, Edgbaston would be at 6.30 to 7.00, Balsall heath would be at 6.30 to 5.00, and an area called Digbeth would be in the same area as Balsall Heath but much closer to the centre, are you still with me ?  ;D, theres is an area called Small Heath, which would be on the outside of Balsall Heath and Digbeth, but more to 3.30- 4.00, ok, now go up the clock a little to around 2.00-3.00. there in that area was/is Lozells, which is around 1.30- 2.00., and as you may know Aston would be in the north around 1.00 - 12.00,
Lozells was the same as Aston, in the sense of the same type of houses, again with two and two down and court yard type houses like 5 back of 23, sort of thing,
the farther away from the centre of B/ham, better the type of houses, ( not mud, or grass, but muddy grass),oh, I forgot, also the dirt and grime from the factories in the area near the centre of B/ham,
In the sixtes, most of Lozells had been pulled down and new modern high rise flats had been built, most of the factories had been pulled down or bombed in the war. between Aston and Lozells was a large gas works with the big gas contaiers and the smell told you just where you were, ...........John 2000 ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy