Author Topic: Aston Park  (Read 14320 times)

sh

Re: Aston Park
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
SH..  I want you to Imagen a large clock face, with 12 O'Clock at the top, now the centre of Birmingham in in the middle of the clock ( where the hands would be ), ok, now, Edgbaston would be at 6.30 to 7.00, Balsall heath would be at 6.30 to 5.00, and an area called Digbeth would be in the same area as Balsall Heath but much closer to the centre, are you still with me ?  ;D, theres is an area called Small Heath, which would be on the outside of Balsall Heath and Digbeth, but more to 3.30- 4.00, ok, now go up the clock a little to around 2.00-3.00. there in that area was/is Lozells, which is around 1.30- 2.00., and as you may know Aston would be in the north around 1.00 - 12.00,
Lozells was the same as Aston, in the sense of the same type of houses, again with two and two down and court yard type houses like 5 back of 23, sort of thing,
the farther away from the centre of B/ham, better the type of houses, ( not mud, or grass, but muddy grass),oh, I forgot, also the dirt and grime from the factories in the area near the centre of B/ham,
In the sixtes, most of Lozells had been pulled down and new modern high rise flats had been built, most of the factories had been pulled down or bombed in the war. between Aston and Lozells was a large gas works with the big gas contaiers and the smell told you just where you were, ...........John 2000 ;D

Thanks a bunch; I drew a clock and inserted as you described, above.  Now I understand more fully.  I would call the areas as suburbs of the city of Burmingham.  It looks like little sections of housing sprouting up around an already-established city; mostly on the south- and north-eastern areas; that leaves the western areas blank.  I'm going to try to find a map to see what else is around - or was around.  But, this makes perfect sense to me.

It's really a shame that England had so many bombings; we are truly fortunate in the USA - hopefully both countries will remain bomb-free from here-on.

I'm also going to look up Balsall Heath and Digbeth to better understand that area.

Kind of scary smelling the gas in Lozells; wonder what would happen on an especially "thick" day if someone lighted a match.  Houston, Texas is built on gas lines - bunches of them; what a security scare that is to me.

Growing up in Cincinnati, Ohio we smelled soap many, many days from Procter and Gamble; P&G was/is a HUGE soaping manufacturer.  Not the same as gas for sure, but imagine walking a mile or more to school smelling soap.  UGH!!  And, through 3 feet of snow!  Oh, well, that was the '40s and '50s; it's probably the same today.  I've been gone since 1955, so I have no idea about morning "smells".  It was like have soap stuck up your nose.  Fond memories.

sh

mazbeth

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 11:56:23 PM »

Now, after again reviewing the photos, I see the name, "Lozells"; what has Lozells to do with Aston in Birmingham.  I'm confused.  So many names; it must be a British way of naming areas within areas or something.

sh
I grew up in Aston till '69...Lozells (an area and main shopping road) was just up the road from Aston.
I vaguely remember that some old photos we had may have had 'Lozells' marked on them, and something tells me it may have been to do with a photo developing shop or something.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

sh

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 09:37:32 PM »
Hello, Mazbeth - I have been "away" in that I had mjor sugery on Apil 30th, 2007 and will again have surgery (my 3rd) in another 10 or so days.  

However, I know you are correct when you report that, ".... it may have .... with a photo developing shop ..."  It was on the back of a formal photo that I first saw the name, "Lozells", which tells me that it was a business within an area whcih includes an area called, "aston Park.   sh

mazbeth

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 10:13:20 PM »
Hi sh, all the best for your coming surgery...

good to see you around again.

I know that Aston also had a section called Aston Manor...
(Aston was bigger then B'ham at one time).

the park was a public park when I was a kid in the 60's anyway....not sure how long it had been open to the public or if there had been houses on any of it before.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 10:45:39 PM »
mazbeth,

try having a look here, http://www.astonbrook-through-astonmanor.co.uk/home.htm Its a pretty informative site.

Phil
Make Love Not War

mazbeth

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 11:05:44 PM »
yes, I belong to the forum connected to it, but it's very big and I got too busy to keep up with it a while ago.
But I'm grateful for the help that some gave me there.

It's a good site and maybe sh might find it helpful.

Graham

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 01:23:10 AM »
sh,

Welcome back and best wishes for your coming op, hope that it is not too serious so that we can enjoy your posts again in the future. O0

sh

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2007, 02:25:26 PM »
Brain surgery first, 8.5 hrs; not malignant - minengeoma, all but a small seocnd part which stereotactic radiosurgery is supposed to have stopped-we'll fina out for sure in about 3 months with another MRI.  Next comes surgery on my R shoulder because I tore the ligments inside when I practiced some PT at home.  I go backto the doctor on Dec. 3rd; I willbe "off the air" for some weeks after shoulder surgery - don't kn0w how long.  Thanks much for your kindness.   sh

sh

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 02:45:41 PM »
I did find the Aston site most helpful, and will definitly visit it again.  Thanks a bunch!

sh

mazbeth

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 09:38:12 PM »
let us know when your surgery is due, if you get a chance...
glad that the site helped.

sh

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 09:04:18 PM »
mazbeth - just got the call today that the surgery is scheduled for Dec. 18, a.m.  So, I won't be answering emails after Dec. 16th for at least three weeks!  Thanks for asking.  sh