Author Topic: Aston Park  (Read 19021 times)

sh

Re: Aston Park
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »
Thank you both - Mazbeth  of Phil47.  You're both fast!   I like toread authentic summaries about people and it all started here!

I jealously guard my comings and goings these days ; want to go forward in every way!  sh

Empty

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
Hi, sh, I am new but saw your original query about Gerrard St. I was raised in Aston/ Lozells in the 1950s and 60s. Gerrard St was in Lozells but before Aston Manor (the area) was incorporated into the Birmingham Conurbation, places like Lozells came under the jurisdiction of Aston. Strangely, as I look up my ancestors on various Censuses it seems places like Balsall Heath/ Kings Norton also came under Aston Manor, it kind of wrapped itself around the suburbs then!
As a child,  I lived in Public Houses because Dad was a manager for Ansells Brewery. We lived in The Shareholders Arms, Potters Hill; The Stork Inn, Newtown Row and The Porchester Arms on the Aston/ Lozells border. The houses in Gerrard St were small and the front door opened from the street right into the sitting room. There would be a scullery at the top of the cellar steps and stairs leading from the sitting room up into the bedroom above. Atop that was an attic room.
I do remember people being very friendly and neighbourly, looking out for each other. Hope this helps.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 03:00:26 PM »
Hi Empty

Welcome to the forum, you are what is always needed "new blood". You should talk to mazbeth on this site,  as she originates from the part of the world you speak of.

I heard tell that she used all of those public houses you mention, and that she has been thrown out of them all due to her rowdiness at one time or other. You can even see the claw marks on the door posts where her nails have clawed at the door as she was being ejected.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sh

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:20 PM »
I'm hoping this works as this is the third day I've tried.  sh

sh

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2008, 10:57:56 PM »
Finally!  It took!  3 days of efforts and I've reached my goal!

The above I-House is in Cincinnati, Ohio.  It was the home of my Maternal Grandmother and Grandfather as well as my Mother, her two sisters and two brothers.  Of course their last names were Ashforth, at least the sisters' before they were married.  They were the children of Thomas Williams and Sarah Ann Olarenshaw Ashforth.  sh

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2008, 11:02:11 PM »
sh

Well done, patience rewards itself in this instance it also shows that none of us is too old to learn. Well done.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sh

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2008, 11:20:31 PM »
Thanks, Phil47!  I am a thinker, a patience is a learned attribute!  sh

sh

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »
Hi, Empty; thanks for contributing.  What do you call a "scullery"?

My younger sister calls a dirt floor a "cellar" which is what the Ashforths in Cinti. had (see the I-House, above); and a "basement" has concrete flooring - that's what we had some 8 mi, away.  sh

Empty

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »
Hello Sh! I have trouble uploading pictures too! The house looks lovely. A scullery is a small kitchen and in those old houses it was merely a space at the top of the stairs. It usually contained a sink as the cooking would have been done in the sitting room on a 'range' which was a set of ovens and trivets, hooks and hobs surrounding the fire. Truly a 'living' room as all activities took place there, including bathing in a tin tub in front of the fire.
The cellar was an underground room traditionally used for keeping coal in. So the mother in the household would have had some job keeping the place, and the children, clean! I'm always impressed with some of our Victorian forebears who could start off with nothing at all and by working hard could gain a better way of life for their family. Here's to them!
Empty

sh

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:05 PM »
My Aunts had one of those coal furnaces; I remember as a child learning how to pitch in the coal with a shovel.  Difference was the poured concrete foor, with double doors from the outside feeding into the basement for the coal to be "dumped" by the truck.  Oh yesteryear, and all that went with the true Craftsman houses.

We had a proper house run by gas, and radiators back in the 1940's!

Thanks for the explanation of, "scullery"; I thought so.  sh

sh

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2008, 08:45:39 PM »
So, allow me this question, and PLEASE ANSWER!!

How people sleep back in late 1800's/early 1900's?  Especially when there are boys/girls?  - sh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy