Author Topic: spring lane camp erdington 1946 to 1950  (Read 12952 times)

scarecrow

spring lane camp erdington 1946 to 1950
« on: June 11, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
does anyone remember spring lane camp erdington 1945-1950 ;)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: spring lane camp erdington 1946 to 1950
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »
Hi scarecrow

Welcome to our forum, what sort of a camp are we talking about, I have a photo of some huts in Spring Lane that I have been trying to identify for ages, would there be some connection. I just wondered if they were temporary housing after the war along the lines of prefabs.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Gee Gee

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
I doubt if there is anyone alive today who could tell you that they lived in this original camp.It has obviously depleted in size over the years.The buildings (huts) to the forefront of the picture are old office accommodation. Guardroom,QM stores,Orderly room,etc.The building in the background appear to be old billits.There are many classic examples of this type of camp across the country.There used to be a very good example at the top of stoney lane.
The wooden hutments had many different names,depending on there size and purpose.Twynhams.these were hutments  with a central ablution point,the sleeping accommodation would branch off into six legs forming the letter  H  with a line down its centre.Soldiers would refer to them as spiders. O0

scarecrow

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:37:34 AM »
Thank you Phil & Gee Gee
Iremember the camp because I lived there with my family for 4 years.Phil it wasn't really on a par with prefabs. there was no running water we had to go to a conmmunal tap with a bucket and the toilet block was not close by either.We were called squatters. We were all homeless families. The one good thing was we had a roof over oyur heads. The place was swarming with rats and two children died from eating the rat poison.But we survived and were all rehoused into council houses in 1950.

mercury

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:20:49 AM »
Hi
 Has anyone else got pictures of spring lane camp or know anyone who lived there.
 mercury

champ

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »
When I lived in Moor End Lane, we used to play on the Scout Field,rear of houses Spring Lane,entrance was opposite the Fern Rd, Spring lane junction. From there you could get into the Army barracks. I think this is where the Camp would have been.As it's been said, they look like Army buildings.The Erdington C of E School stands on part of the land. The other part I am told is playing fields. I don't remember any building still standing but, there were plenty of flooded bunkers, and gun emplacements. Also concrete roads. We were told that it protected Fort Dunlop,the SU and of course the Spitfire Factory.

champ

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
I have been told by my brother that he played in those huts. They were part of the barracks.
My sister said, that when she was at the National School ( High Street Erdington ) there were people there that lived in the huts and, were called squatters.

scarecrow

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 03:05:51 AM »
Hi Champ

I'm glad your sister remembered the kids from Spring Lane camp. Yes we were called squatter and other names too but some of have done O.K for ourselves. Would love to hear from anyone who lived there. O0

Bob Bishton

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »
My grand father was the steward at the old camp his name was Harry A. Green he. Died in 1950 and was buried at the church in Erdington high street. I was born in 1947 at the barracks. As a boy me and my mates use to play there but I do not remember the huts if my memory serves me right there was only what appeared to be run down concrete buildings.

pavillion

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »
 :D Hi phil & champ, i lived in spring lane 1942-1968 and remember the camp well.played there in the woods,the stream,the pond,gunsites(dungeons) and the farmers field where the milkman kept his horse.he lived the corner of dunvegan road and moor end lane.also champ should remember the field at the back of his house where we built a cycle speedway track

johnD

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »
Hi used to play at spring lane camp in the 50s lived in Deakin rd round the corner only remember concrete buildings some were flooded and rumers of dead soldiers patrolling at night, now it's St Barnabas C of E primary school

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy