Author Topic: spring lane camp erdington 1946 to 1950  (Read 12953 times)

Moor End Lad

Re: spring lane camp erdington 1946 to 1950
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
I lived locally, and first visited the camp in 1961 following the end of national service and the consequent closing of the site. There was an open day, which all the local kids attended, but I was able to gain access subsequently through a friend's back garden in Berkswell Road. By this time there were no remains whatsoever of wooden buildings. There were two concrete bunkers along the access road, which had had their roofs broken in by a wrecking ball. Only the three gun emplacements and associated ammunition stores remained together with two pillboxes and a couple of sunken buildings with metal barred windows.

dixie

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 12:21:16 AM »
I was born on the army barracks, one of the buildings on stilts. I was there when the milk mans horse broke loose and ran off. All of my family  lived there,   they  came to Erdington  from Wales. I was told about the rats too, my Mother used to make us children sleep with gloves  on because of the rats that used to run about around us, we used to have army coats piled up over us  to keep warm. There were curtains dividing families, and a wood burning stove in the middle of the hut to try to keep everyone  warm. :(

townie

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 08:34:57 PM »
What a shame Dixie no one remembers your growing up years someone will eventually.  I have the same with Shard End but don't loose hope there's always someone. I've been waiting for years for replies to the mexicarno café and still waiting.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

dixie

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 07:39:28 PM »
We moved from the camp to shard end. I went to hillstone road infants school and then to alderley boys school  we lived in gilwell road off longmeadow cresent   

Margaretanne34

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »
Hello
I was bought up in Spring Lane Camp from 1946 and did not realise we were a homeless family
The Rover car factory got dad the accommodation we had the Medical centre which as I remember the best building there was but a wooden building inside a very high breeze block wall,we could not see outside till dad knocked two or three rows of the breeze blocks down.

I’m now 78 years and my brother told me about this site he is 76 years we went to Birches Green infants
and juniors school, then Moor End Lane school till 1953 when we moved to Tile Cross.

I have vivid memories of 1947 winter the snow was that deep my mother carried my brother and I couldn’t
Walk up the hill to the house backing onto the playing field,
I remember sleeping the other end of the building away from my parents one night woke in the night
To see someone standing next to my bed feeling very frightened tried from under the blankets
To touch it and couldn’t I couldn’t even screen I will never forget mom came in and said what ever
Is the matter I said look under the bed and she took me into the other room.  Years later she told me that room was where they operated on the soldiers and some of them had died in that room explained a lot later in life, my brother said he saw lots of people in there. We both remember the gun shelters used to fill up with water. There was a large Ballroom with a large stage we used to put bottle tops on our shoes and tap dance.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 08:27:06 PM »
Hi Margaret,

Welcome to the forum, I wasn't born until 1947 so I have no personal memories of the war years or just after the war. Not even of the winter of 1947 the year I was born, though housing was still short in the 50's when my sister and  brother and myself with my mother moved into a one down and two up back to back house in Nechells.

At the time I suppose my mother was glad of it, though I don't suppose she thought how many of us would be living in it 10 years later.

Anyway settle in and read some of the memories recorded here, I'm sure you will enjoy them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jim workman

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 03:21:08 PM »
i lived in Moore lane  camp as i thought it was called when i was about 5 with my brother and sisters i didn't know we were squatters we lived in hut 29 i think and were moved to  a back house in anderton st ladywood in about 1951 i went to hawthorn rd infant school while there and then to follet osler in ladywood  i rember  a chape called chukki southall just because the name stuckwith me all these years 1am now 74 and it still sends shivers down my spine Had nightmares for years about that hut 
jim workman

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »
hi jim welcome to the forum  im sure you will meet others from that camp site  on this forum   enjoy  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Petemac

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 06:58:52 PM »
My mum and dad where living in spring Lane camp when I was born in November 1948. I have spring Lane camp on .y birth certificate. It was great to see photos of the place .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy