Author Topic: Where Do We Live?  (Read 22474 times)

Gee Gee

Re: Where Do We Live?
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2011, 10:28:50 PM »
My wife is from Yorkshire. On her first visit to Brum (spring 1962) I took her to Cannon Hill Park (the tulip festival) then the following day we enjoyed a picknic up the lickies.
There was no room to accommodate her at our house,so she stayed with a friend at Kings Norton.
She has just been telling me she always thought Brum to be a wonderful place--------------For shopping. ;D

john2000

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
Even Calthorpe park had it's fair share of trees, ( I know, I think I climed most of them), even the small putting green 6p a round, the woodern hut also had lots of trees near it, but as soon as you crossed over the white bridge you came to where they had the swings, I have never seen one as high has that one was, I could never get any higher than the crossbar, then there was the spidersweb,( remember that) been thown off that more than once, funny but most of the trees where around the edge of the park, the last time I was there the woodern bridge had gone, the fences where also gone, ( thats a good thing) I always had to clime over the gate after closeing time,
I see on google map, that the trees are still there and some other buildings sheds I think from the way there are built, do they have football there on a sunday still,? J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

nickcc

« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
The Stratford road going into town has remained the same(not good) for the last 30 years,, no change at all
Previous trips on the Stratford road would have been late 1975 just before we moved to Durham.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #135 on: October 03, 2011, 09:09:20 AM »
The Stratford road going into town has remained the same(not good) for the last 30 years,, no change at all

I don't travel this route any more, well very rarely. Hasn't the red route made any difference to the traffic hold ups. I know the architecture has changed very little.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wam

« Reply #136 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »
Even Calthorpe park (cut)
I see on google map, that the trees are still there and some other buildings sheds I think from the way there are built, do they have football there on a sunday still,? J2

Football in the park is controlled by "Local Leagues" who charge and decide whether you can use the pitches. There are still regular matches but you don't just get people turning up and expecting to play. The "other buildings" are probably the newish play centre opposite Cheddar Road at the Edward Road end which has one of those fenced off combination football/basketball courts that they put up everywhere. They've just put up another one where the old tennis courts were. There are still some signs of the old mini golf course. There's something that looks like a broken paving stone and a concrete bridge and there are grass banks that marked the edge of the course.

blueblizzard

« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »
Previous trips on the Stratford road would have been late 1975 just before we moved to Durham.

That would be 36 years ago then,, not 2 as you originally posted
Don't take life so seriously,,,nobody gets out alive anyway

nickcc

« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2011, 07:11:42 PM »
That would be 36 years ago then,, not 2 as you originally posted
Think you misunderstood, my reply relates to the last time I travelled on the Stratford road prior to visiting my Sister a couple of years ago.  I have certainly no wish to get into a slanging match about the virtues, or otherwise, of any of the many locations in the UK that my Family and I have lived in as they all have both positives and negatives.  We are all entitled to our opinions but what we are not entitled to do is bully other members.
Nick

Helston Cornwall

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
Another skyline view of the city, anybody got an idea where this one was taken. I'm guessing Bar Beacon way.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

maggie

« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »
Lived there  years ago...

Now would the skyline be so clear from so far away

I dont sem to recall enough clearish days to see that far.
do unto others as you would be done by

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2011, 09:07:25 PM »
I would agree with this statement as I have travelled round the UK quite a lot and it amazes me some of the rubbish that people come out with about Birmingham.

I once watched a documentary about the Spice Girls (don't laugh). One of their road crew was from Brum and he was so awful. He said that people in Brum never travel anywhere and that in his work as a roadie he had never met a person from Brum anywhere else in the world. It was obvious that this guy was very uncomfortable with his roots.

Football in the park is controlled by "Local Leagues" who charge and decide whether you can use the pitches. There are still regular matches but you don't just get people turning up and expecting to play.

It's a shame there aren't pick up games like we have in the States. Anyone can go to a baseball court, for example, and join in any game that is playing, even if you don't know anyone there.

Gee Gee

« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »
Dont recall that many flats around the Kingstanding way.
Could we be looking at;Northfield,West Heath, Kings Norton. From the direction of Rubery.?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy