Author Topic: Where Do We Live?  (Read 22475 times)

maggie

Re: Where Do We Live?
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
AfS,  you mention a Roadie from Brum saying people from there dont travel far...well if being here is anything to go by I can agree,    in  41 years here inNZ  I have only met
three couples from Brum, and one of those went to school with my sister..............One lady tried to organise a lets
get together evening and other than Janise   Julie andf self did,nt get any replies.However that is just this area,but
thats out of apprx 210,000 residents.Dont know about how
many in the rest of the  4 million........Scots/Jordies and
Londeners are the main ones to come.........
do unto others as you would be done by

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
AfS,  you mention a Roadie from Brum saying people from there dont travel far...well if being here is anything to go by I can agree,    in  41 years here inNZ  I have only met
three couples from Brum, and one of those went to school with my sister..............One lady tried to organise a lets
get together evening and other than Janise   Julie andf self did,nt get any replies.However that is just this area,but
thats out of apprx 210,000 residents.Dont know about how
many in the rest of the  4 million........Scots/Jordies and
Londeners are the main ones to come.........

Maggie, to tell you the truth I have never met a person from Brum anywhere else in the world than Brum. I lived in London and never did there and I have never met anyone from Brum in America. Apart from my siblings, I have never conversed with anyone from Brum until I came to this forum.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Now as you know I never travel abroad, but wherever I travel in England I seem to bump into people from Brum. The first time I went to Jersey, there was a chap digging a hole outside our hotel with a JCB. I couldn't believe it but he used to work for me at one time and he still lived in Small Heath and he was just there doing this job.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »

Pamela

« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
I met a few other Brummies while I was in the WRAF,I have only met one in Perth she was from Perry Barr

maggie

« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
So that roadie was right eh,  Brummies  mainly stick to what they know.
Tell you this, when we decided to emigrate one Aunt
said but your roots are here,meaning Brum,  No way replied my Hisband we are,nt blooming trees..
Well we now have more  branches  to when we came out
1 Son L   1 D inlaw, 2 Grandaughters and a Great Gdaughter...oh and a Grand son inlaw..The tree transplanted nicely eh
do unto others as you would be done by

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2011, 09:33:34 PM »
I met a few other Brummies while I was in the WRAF,I have only met one in Perth she was from Perry Barr

Pam, silly question, but are they mainly Scots living in Perth? When I lived in London, I could not believe how many Scots were living there, especially men. (Crazy nuts!)

when we decided to emigrate one Aunt
said but your roots are here,meaning Brum,

Maggie, I avoided all that by telling my family I was only going to America for 3 months. Thirteen years later, I made my first return visit to England.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2011, 09:38:01 PM »

Vos is dat?

Anne,

It's what you would call a backhoe I suppose in the U.S. Its a type of excavator that was built by a firm that was called after it's founder James Connoly Bamford. Hence JCG as they are known here.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2011, 09:38:49 PM »

Anne,

It's what you would call a backhoe I suppose in the U.S. Its a type of excavator that was built by a firm that was called after it's founder James Connoly Bamford. Hence JCG as they are known here.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

vauxonion

« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »
Phil I think your photo is more Bordesley,Coventry Rd way in the middle of the photo you can make out the dark line of (what I think is the railway viaduct).Dek

Pamela

« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
Anne they are still mainly Scots in Perth but there are a lot of English people here

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy