Author Topic: Where Do We Live?  (Read 22549 times)

Pamela

Re: Where Do We Live?
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:18 PM »
trapio
 I have been here for 41 years. Did you know that Perth is not officially a city it lost its city status some years back.There is a big campaign going on at the moment, we are hoping to get it back through a 2012 competition that marks the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
As to The Stone Of Scone, some people think the original Stone is hidden away and never left Scotland to go to Westminster Abbey.
Our football team is called St Johnstone

Pamela

trapio

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:22 AM »
Pamela,

Like almost every Scot, I've heard that the real Stone never ''went down south'' - but I wasn't aware of loss of city status: was this at least in part because of less than 50,000 residents? In US, I know of 2 'cities' of 11 and 11,500 people.  To save light blushes, I omitted the football team.

It will be very fitting if city status is conferred next year (with a decent apology).

You must be proud of living in Perth O0

trapio
Integrity is non negotiable

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »
For the last 30 years ive been living in bartley green

Astwood, forgive my ignorance. Is Bartley Green part of Brum?

Pamela

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
trapio
Losing the City status was something to do with the UK gov and the Scottish Executive re-examinated  the definition of a city about 1979 they produced an approved list and Perth wasn't on it,the local council have been trying ever since to be a City again.
There are about 43 thous people here now.
Pamela

trapio

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 11:25:03 PM »

Pamela,

So, after hundreds of years, booro kratz moved the goalposts...to what point or purpose?  And guess who paid for the changes? - from  the cost of the meetings that came to said decision to new signposts and stationery! >:( - plus the price of the inevitable ''cost saving'' innovation :uglystupid2:

trapio

astwood

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »
Anne bartley green is part of brum right on the very edge

vauxonion

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
If I remember right Bartley Green was part of Worstershire and only became part of B,ham after the resa, was built.Dek

astwood

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
dek
Yes it became a part of brum when northfield was transferred
from worcestershire to warwickshire in november 1911 its a
great place to live mate

trapio

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
astwood,

What aspects of Bartley Green ''make it so good for you?''.  I'm particularly interested as I've no experience of completely freely selecting where to live in UK - work was the arbitrator - let alone brum....though I did live close to the 'bonnie banks of Loch Lomond'' for a couple of years, and work was only 20 minutes drive.

trapio

astwood

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 03:19:47 PM »
trapio
Well its got plenty of trees and fields right on my doorstep
i have a great local and good friends my sons live close to
me and there is the reservoir with sailing boats in the nice
weather what more could you ask for

trapio

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
astwood,

Sounds like the England which as a child, I saw only from a vehicle or on foot from a A to far B, so didn't stop to enjoy as you are daily able to....walking the dog etc.

You have family to  happy (and helping) hand and good friendly local environment - with a reservoir as a plus.

Will honestly say I never knew a brum with a smidgeon of those amenities, yet I liked BH, as we do when we know no other - it's just the 'safe' attraction of familiarity.

I do not have, and want no affinity with the utterly different places (Hazrat Sultan Mosque, Ombersley Rd - no church), schools (Al-Hira in Clifton Rd) practices (no traditional brummie ways) as no ethnically indigenous people or environment remain (all shops in different, and very limited trades) - this is what it has become....in a word, alien to all I last saw of BH.

I know where I'm happier now 30 C, breeze and bright sun watching 'on/off' test cricket O0

trapio

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy