Author Topic: Swan Yardley  (Read 23982 times)

Mogmeister

Swan Yardley
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
Does anyone remember the Swan at Yardley , when the old one was knocked down , they built a new modern one ( in the 60's ) that was supposed to be the biggest in Europe , i can remember going there with my dad .

Mogmeister  .

trapio

Re: Swan Yardley
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:26 PM »
Mogmeister,

I recall that lovely old landmark from the 50s - I never went in and left brum in 1959 - it had a solid majesty about it - as if it would always be there......... :'(

trapio
Integrity is non negotiable

frederick

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:08:51 AM »
I was in the old pub on the last night the doors closed and it was knocked down shortly afterwards.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

vauxonion

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:08:49 AM »
Major building works are being carried out at the Swan at this moment in time.Tescos are building a new store the part of Church Lane that runs down to the Yew Tree is being diverted around the corner of the Oaklands playing fields to give them more space. I,m sure when it is finished none of us will recognise the place. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »
Me and my mate Alf used to use the Swan on a Saturday lunchtime when he used to pick his kids up on Saturdays for his weekly access. I also went to a few dinner dances in the function room. Never used the two earler versions of the Swan that stood on the same spot.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
Fred,

Do you mean the last 'Swan', or the 'traditional' one of our childhood?

If the latter, you have an ingot in your memory vault O0

trapio

Mogmeister

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
Great pics Phil . i will send them onto my brother in Oz

Mogmeister

frederick

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
trapio,
It was the old one it would be in the very early 60s, i have had a few pints in the new one aswell   :P
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

trapio

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 04:21:09 PM »
Fred,

As I never went in, I've always wondered if it was as 'traditional' inside as out side - you're a lucky man...that last night was an 'I was there' event O0

trapio

wimbush yardley

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
Hi dek./
          So tesco have got there way!!! how far has it got and since when has it been church lane?
I remember the swan where the trolly bus for Yardley turned round and they had a great bowling geen at the back we used to go and watch just after the war.
                                                                           Regards Ken
Do not judge a house by its appearance but by the warmth of the welcome.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
Ken

I drove down Church rd the other day, and I wondered where I was being taken. To be very honest I think it is disgusting that Tesco have been allowed to take so much of the park. I thought that it was only a tiny piece of the park they were taking.

If that road they have built is a permanent fixture than a whole swathe of the park is going to be unusable because it is going to be right next to a very busy road.

I'm sure that Jeremy Knight- Adams plan for the shopping centre would have been much better and caused much less inconvenience, but there again he hasn't got the friends on Birmingham Council that Tesco must have. I say this simply because they always seem to win out and get the Councils backing in any planning disputes.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy