Author Topic: Brooklyn Tech .  (Read 14140 times)

Mogmeister

Brooklyn Tech .
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
Does anyone remember Brooklyn Tech in Great Barr , over the road from the Drakes Drum Pub , i did my Mechanical Engineering Quals there in the 70's and early 80's ,  a while ago it became the campus for Sutton College and is now the James Watt campus , not sure what it will be next week .

Mogmeister .

Anne from Stirchley

Re: Brooklyn Tech .
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
MM, I must admit when I saw your heading that you meant Brooklyn, New York!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »
Moggy

I have good cause to remember Brooklyn Tech, we were taken there by coach one day from our school to see an exhibition. On the way back the emergency door of the coach mysteriously opened and the result was I was banned from all future school trips for the rest of my time at the school, after the compulsory seat warming exercise.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

japangardener

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:10:49 AM »
I went to Brooklyn Tech on a 'day release' course from my job (at H.Dare and Sons Ltd.)
It was for one day each week and I did a course on 'Building' for the ONC.
I was there from 1957 to 1960 (approx)
Does anyone else remember being there at that time ?

Derek Butcher

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:23:25 AM »
I attended Brooklyn Tech from 1957-59 at the start of my apprenticeship at Dunlop in Industrial Intrumentation, moving to Aston Tech after for the trades courses.
I had several Aunts & Uncles who lived in Gt Barr and used to visit my favorite aunt during lunch break to enjoy a great meal.
Remember the Drakes Drum pub well but never went in, was not a drinker back then as only 16. I lived in Pype Hayes at the time, Chester Road just up from the Moss Gear factory. A long run on the number 28 bus.
Was a nice area back then and when I visited in 1998 it was just as I remembered.
I emigrated to NZ back in 72.

douggie 372

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
i attended  from 1955 to 1958 on c&g pumbing course taught by mr. holmes. me &my friends also had a drink at the drakes drum pub.     signed douggie. field

raz ullah

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
I was there between 1968 to 1972 on a carpentry and Joinery course it was great. I  travelled on 2 buses, they wouldn't do it today. I remember the teachers  Mr Aston , Mr pessall ,Mr branch, Mr Davis , Mr clews , Mr dennett, they were all good blokes,pity its all gone  good days.

Robin

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:51:26 AM »
I went there briefly and found the corridors and whole place depressing. :(
I like to make my own mind up but I am another member of the Noddy and Big Ears appreciation society

brigham

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
Hi to everyone interested in Brooklyn Farm Technical College. Yes I remember it well. I went there from 1959 to 1964 to do my time as a woodmachinist app. I remember George West(surely the best teacher ever) and Mr Fowler. I was doing my app. with a shopfitting firm, Cadwallader limited not far from the college.
Is it still a tech. college? I will pay a visit next time I,m in the UK. I emigrated to Australia in 1969.
All the best    Rod Brigham

cocacolakid

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Hi to everyone interested in Brooklyn Farm Technical College. Yes I remember it well. I went there from 1959 to 1964 to do my time as a woodmachinist app. I remember George West(surely the best teacher ever) and Mr Fowler. I was doing my app. with a shopfitting firm, Cadwallader limited not far from the college.
Is it still a tech. college? I will pay a visit next time I,m in the UK. I emigrated to Australia in 1969.
All the best    Rod Brigham

G,day Rod..
Yes, the college is still there, though now, it is called Birmingham  Metropolitan College.  Do you remember a car accessory shop that opened in 1968, over the way from the college, well that was my shop. It was called Carsville Accessories.
                                                                                                                                Malc.

Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

brigham

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
Hi Malc. thanks for your quick reply.
Is the college still a technical college for trade students or has it changed into yet another IT college. Thats what has happened over in Aussie. I don,t remember your shop although I remember a small block of shops and the newsagent in particular. I also remember the Drakes Drum pub. That,s where I learned to drink lager and lime.Those were the days. It,s great talking to you about the college,
yours   Rod Brigham

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy