Author Topic: Brooklyn Tech .  (Read 14137 times)

Steve.cummings

Re: Brooklyn Tech .
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »
I remember some of the guys in the class Malcolm White, I remember going to park drive was it in Small Heath
The villa player was Bobby Campbell I think he played for Northern Ireland

Sarkozy

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
How did you know ? Hello Steve.

So pleased to find you are still kicking about on this beautiful planet.

You are right about the football player, looked him up on the web - Sadly he  has passed passed away 2 years ago. Report in Birmingham Mail.

Bobby's Full records and description of more a legend due to his personality. Report in nifootball.

Unfortunately , some time before his death shortly  there were some problems. Report in the Belfast Telegraph.

Found Alan Gales, he is OK. Worked decades at the Jaguar entrance to Castle Vale Estate.

How are you Steve,

I am hopeful that the passing of time has treated you well and that you are comfortable. Are you married, do you have children ? Your work,  i am hoping things went well / still going well for you.

As for me have lived abroad for over 16 years a few hiccups on the way , but nothing to stop me being content and O.K.

Hoping to further our conversation a little.

Malcolm.

Steve.cummings

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 06:21:49 PM »
Hi Malcom

Good to here off you hope you are fit and well
We are living in Grendon North Warwickshire been here for a year now, still working but slowing down had a slight heart attack in January 2015 after a lot of tests and treatment they fitted a pacemaker earlier this year feeling better now

Steve

Sarkozy

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 01:15:43 AM »
Hey Steve.

So pleased to here from you.

I know Grendon so well ; In actual fact my mother lives very near by in a care residential home, she is 90 years old.

My daughter lives not so far away in the village of Appleby Magna down the M42 from you. Can't miss her always in the Old Crown Pub!!!!

Wow, Its a good job the medical staff got hold of you in time.

So pleased to hear you came back from this experience fighting and finally well again, but you still have to take care of yourself. More so now.

Its been one year now since i was urgently nipped into Caen University Hospital here in France. Similar thing , Cardio Vascular problems. Do you think its all that Lager and Blackcurrent we used to drink at the Drakes Drum ??

Anyway , I had a four inch blockage of the main artery in the right leg. Bloody nuisance !! They dealt with it straight away, and seem to be back to normal now. Just have to take 3 Medicines a day for the rest of my life.

Great hospital, brand new, even a had a rock concert in the foyer during the evening night before my operation ; for the patients, surgeons, Doctors and Nurses to chill out together.

P.S. This is an open forum not the best way to deal out all of this past history.  I'll figure a way to communicate further until then. Steve,  Its time for me to kip it's gone 2 in the morning here. Speak later .

Malcolm.

frederick

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
Appleby Magna, I've been to the old Crown inn one or two times in my younger days. If I remember right we became friendly with a couple of girls that lived at Appleby Parva.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Dr D

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 11:45:49 AM »
Hi All, I can see it has been a while since anyone has replied to this topic, but I was very interested by some of the comments and recollections of the college and thought I could add something to the discussion.

I worked at the college from 1989 until the names was dissolved as part of the incorporation process in 1993. Apart from the name change most things stayed the same for a while, until the appointment of a new principal and the bite of governments cuts, when a lot of staff were made redundant in the mid 90s. It was around this time that the construction staff were transferred to a central campus for all trades across Birmingham in Tyseley

As some have commented, the college in the 80s and early 90s was predominantly a construction college with a long reputation in many trades, particularly bricklaying. It also had the usual array of FE provision, including a thriving Business Studies department, which is where I was located.

During the mid 90s with the industrial unrest of contract disputes and redundancies, I became the chair of the teacher’s union, and along with other staff helped in the change of staff at a senior level, which allowed a subsequent merger with Sutton College, which eventually merged with Matthew Boulton to form Birmingham Metropolitan college.

Several times during my time at the college, there was a threat to close the Aldridge Road site and either demolish it or relocate it, but it survived all the changes and still remains a key provider of FE provision in the area.

I have so many stories from those early years, perhaps for another time!

[email protected]

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2021, 10:39:21 PM »
Hi Yall , Dunlop sent me there to do ONC...later went to Erdington Tech the Aston for my HNC...left the UK in 73 now living in the US   pls feel free to open a correspondence....Grahame Smith

Tjarnie

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »
I went to Brooklyn Technical College in 1961 to continue with my commerce/secretarial studies. Still got my certificates though my grades were not that good as I was dyslexic, but this wasn’t heard of much in those days.

frederick

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
Is short hand still used.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Tjarnie

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 05:39:49 PM »
Well I was still using it when I retired from the QEH 7 years ago, but I studied Pitman’s which grew out of favour and was replaced by some sort of speed writing. I got up to 130 words per minute 😁

sid.rathamo

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2022, 10:19:45 PM »
I went on day release from 86 till 90 on the carpentry and joinery, Mr clunes and Mr Davis were still there

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy