Author Topic: Political Correctness gone Mad  (Read 5486 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Political Correctness gone Mad
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »
I see that the area known as the Gun Quarter for 250 years around Loveday Street and St Chads is to now become known as St George & St Chads.

Why? because "The Gun Quarter" is thought to be politically incorrect. Just who thinks it is incorrect?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blackrose

Re: Political Correctness gone Mad
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »
Would it not be nice to try & make something of that history and maybe try to create a tourist enclave much like the Jewellry Quarter, albeit on a smaller scale?  Some of the planners seem to think that all people want to do is walk round shops when they visit cities but this is so far from the truth

Steve

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
This is breaking a centuries old tradition. Henry VIII organised the gun trade in Brum so more guns could be made, and standardised. Instead of each gunsmith making their own weapons, all different bores, lengths, etc, he got one workshop making only barrels, another the stocks & butts, another the firelocks and so on. Sort of like an assembly line with the parts all going to a final assembly shop.
 Some of these city planners either know no history, or have no respect for it.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »
Steve

The City Planners have proved time after time beyond any doubt that they have no respect for Birmingham's history or traditions.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
I see that the area known as the Gun Quarter for 250 years around Loveday Street and St Chads is to now become known as St George & St Chads.

Why? because "The Gun Quarter" is thought to be politically incorrect. Just who thinks it is incorrect?

Phil

Maybe they're thinking of using 'The Gun Quarter' to re-name Lozells.  ;D
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
 loveday street and around the Gun Quarter" was known coalmore
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
Did anyone ever wonder how Lozells got its rather strange name?

On the crest of the hill at the junction of Lozells Road and Wheeler Street stands the former Anglican church of St Paul. Designed by perpendicular style J A Chatwin in 1880 the recently restored Grade II Listed building is now used by the Assemblies of the First Born Church of God. Wheeler Street follows the route of the Roman Icknield Street and it may be that the Roman army built a mound here as a signal post. Certainly, low was the Old English word for a tumulus, a word often used to denote a man-made mound. However, the origin of this placename is open to debate. It is documented in 1546 as Lorres Hill or Lowsill, and may come from an Anglo-Saxon personal name, ie. 'Lor's wood'. It may simply derive from Lowes Hill after Lowe's Farm which stood by Hockley Brook, although this does not explain the 'Lorres' variant. Another explanation of the name is based on a term used in Middle English from the 14th century which derives from the verb 'to lose'. A lorel, or losel, was thus 'a loser, a rogue, a scoundrel'. The term continued in use into the 19th century. This locality was sometimes known as The Lozells.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »
loveday street and around the Gun Quarter" was known coalmore

Roy

Being born in Loveday Street, Colemore is listed as my place of birth on my birth certificate.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
me to phil  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

john2000

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »
Yes, but what you dont understand is "it may offend some one" so thats why they want to change it to St chads and St george quarter,? people dont know about the history of the gun quarter, France had big problems with the craftmanship that was in Birmingham gun quarter,
A Rev Larry Wright complained and so did 50 yes 50 people from his church, ( he is lucky that he has 50 people going to his church), so maybe thats why he's kicking up a stink about the name,? silly man, .. the gun quarter will still be there long after he's gone, I think the Cannon Dave Collier should have a word with him,?  :idiot2:
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:29:55 PM »
I know of St Chads, but the nearest St Georges I know of is in Edgbaston. The next nearest church that I can think of was in Whithall St and that was St Mary's, but that was demolished and made into gardens years ago. Anybody know anything about St Georges?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy